Hand Saw Till and Plane Storage

jettback50

Saw Till to house several hand saws and specialty saws. This is made with many kinds of reclamed lumber. Flaws, nail holes, and weathering marks are still apparent and add to the character of the piece. All of the surfaces were hand-scraped then coated with a Danish Oil finish. You can even see burn marks left in the wood.

The shelves have been made out of old table center sections. The bottom shelf has a great crackle-ice finish. All of the edges were hand planed using some of the vintage planes on the bottom shelf. Still room for expansion but the over all size was determined by the size of the reclaimed lumber stock and the length of the current saws to be stored.

All mortise-finger joints were hand-cut and made proud of the surface in the Greene & Greene style. The case is extremely strong and square without the use of any metal fasteners. The shelves use pocket screws to attach to the front and rear rails because nobody wants to see plywood edges. This is my first attempt at a project like this and I am very happy about how it turned out. It is attached to the wall using a Freedom cleat system, basiclly the American version of the shop wall hanging system that Marc uses.

post-1497-0-22644800-1298584770_thumb.jp

post-1497-0-55120000-1298584844_thumb.jp

post-1497-0-35315400-1298584855_thumb.jp

Shop furniture are always useful for trying out new techniques - and there's nothing better than using the tools that will eventually be housed in the cabinet. Good job, and I agree that using 'lived in' wood adds character for 'user' tools of a certain age.

French or Freedom - that's a hell of a cleat you used - just how much do your tools weigh? ;) I think the wall will fail first...

John