two end grain cutting boards cracked up

Swaelstert

Hi

I have just spent a week to finish to end grain cutting boards. I used maple, African Padauk, Mahogany and African Teak. The wood was very dry.

The one with the squares (see attached photos) is 450mm by 400mm by 24mm and the checkered one is 260mm by 320mm by 22mm.

I used a strong titebond 3 comparative glue (with which I had huge success in other strong glue joints).

After each glue up the boards stood for close to 24 hours before I reworked them.

All finishing off was either with a drum sander or orbital sander, no planer after glue up.

After I finished them they both stood for close to 36 hours before I was able to oil them. Where I live in South Africa it is quite hot and dry currently - between 30 en 34 degree centigrade. For that I dipped each one for 20min in pure mineral oil and then let them drip dry before I wiped them lightly.

I put both in my living room on a wooden table. After 36hours we start hearing loud cracking sounds. On closer inspection I came to the horrible discovery that the boards have cracked up as can be seen in the photos.

Is the the borders of solid Teak that I have placed around them or what on earth could give rise to this?

Is the boards repairable?

4kante unoiled.JPG

squares oiled cracked 2.jpg

squares oilef cracked 1.jpg

ckeckered oiled cracked.jpg

ckeckered unoiled.JPG

1 hour ago, pkinneb said:

Yep the guys above have it correct if you want a border on that type of board it has to be made in segments just like the board (same size segments) or it will blow its self up.

Im not sure it has to be in segments, but if glued all in it should all be the same grain direction, the borders would have to be end grain as well if you could get end grain pieces that big. Be sure the wood is cured well before glueup too, the shrinkage during drying may not be even all across the board.

32 minutes ago, Swaelstert said:

Thank you so much for the the advice and the appreciation of the boards. It is been appreciated. Will rip the borders off and see what can be done to salvage the end grain parts to some degree.

There was a post a little while back of a table that cupped really badly destroying the steel legs on that table.  If you can find that post, it's an awesome reminder of just how brutal wood movement can be!!

Nice looking boards, I hope you can save them!

Hi everyone

This is the two previously cracked boards after my rescue attempts.

On the checkered board one can still see a hairline glue line in the left bottom corner. Of the big crack that run down right through the center top to bottom is nothing noticeable.

On the big board, I was forced to cut out on of the pieces that was damaged beyond repair and insert a new piece - see image called insert 1 - before I finished it off (the small round whitish patches is dust marks left by the slip free mat it was resting on) , then the image called insert finished after I have worked it off and sand it to the desired finish. The white arrow is to show which piece was inserted.

The image called blocks is the final attempt.

All this was done in between another project in the making. I was given a nice small table with a MDF top fitted to oak legs with cane plait near the bottom of the legs. So a made a new oak top to finish off the table and restore it to is real value.

To everyone I wish you all a very blessed Christmas and a happy New Year.

insert finished.jpg

blocks.JPG

checkered .jpg

insert 1.jpg

• Like 2