Link to an antique workbench for sale

jHop

I was scrolling through some online ads today, which I do from time to time.

This appeared as I was randomly searching. I wasn't looking for a bench specifically, but just ideas for styles in general.

http://cleveland.ebayclassifieds.com/antiques/bainbridge-township/1890-antique-woodworking-bench/?ad=9104964

First off, this thing appears in great shape for a 120 year old bench. Either it was held by a non-woodworking family that appreciated history, or the owner was the second (or third?) generation of woodworkers, and revered this old bench.

First off, does anybody agree with the price they want for it? $2750 seems a little steep for a bench to me, but I might be prejudiced towards the frugal (OK, cheap) side. Secondly, what would you call this design? It seems to have little bits of several styles, so I'm not certain how to categorize it.

No, I don't own it. I don't know the seller. They are near me, but not that close. (Maybe 20 miles, tops) No, I can't go pick it up for anybody; I don't own a truck or van.

The link has a total of 8 photos that I have seen so far. It's out of my budget, so I'm only going to use it as inspiration. No offense to the owner, should they be a member here. And I did not post this in the Marketplace section because I'm not intending to draw attention to it's sale, merely the quality and style of the design.

First off, does anybody agree with the price they want for it? $2750 seems a little steep for a bench to me, but I might be prejudiced towards the frugal (OK, cheap) side.

$2750 would be too much for a workbench.

$2750 would be right for an antique piece of furniture of that age and condition.

Whether the price is right for that bench probably depends on what your intention is. If you want to have a woodworking bench, you're probably better off spending that money on lumber and tools to make it yourself. If you want to have an antique piece of furniture, and yes, there are antique collectors who would be interested in a bench like this, it may be a good deal.

It truly is a beautiful piece and it is nice to see something that old in great shape. The sad thing is likely it won't be purchased by a woodworker. Did you guys see the note at the end of the ad? "....perfect for dining room or kitchen table...." YIKES! Who would waste this piece!

I would respectfully disagree with Wilbur in that price doesn't seem too expensive IF it's as nice in person as it looks in the photos. As a comparison, a brand new Laguna bench with drawers goes for $2475.

I personally couldn't afford it besides I would want to make my own anyway. I just hope someone doesn't buy it to use as a dining room table like the ad suggested. What a waste!

I wouldn't buy the Laguna bench, either. I'd put that money towards one of their jointer/planer combos, instead. ;)

From a purely technical standpoint, I don't think that this workbench is the greatest design. Here's a question: you need to plane the edge of a longish board, say 3-4 feet long, to square it up with the face. How are you going to do that on this workbench? The board's too long to use the face vise by itself. You'll have to cobble up some method of supporting the other end.

The Roubo workbench gets around this issue with a sliding deadman. The Nicholson workbench has a wide apron with dog holes. The Holtzapffel workbench has a very wide twin screw vise, which isn't ideal, but better than this workbench.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 53 Guests (See full list)

• Forum Statistics

Total Topics
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rojmwq4e
    Newest Member
    rojmwq4e