First Commission

jvg2259

Hello all,

I’m building my first commission for my first client and want this to be right. It is a shoe rack made from red oak, with the sides made of frame and panel construction. I haven’t glued up the sides yet,  because I’m waiting for the client to finalize stain color, and I want to pre-finish at least the panels, or as much pre-finishing that I can. 

I need some help with a few issues before I proceed any further. 

The shelves (4) will be 3/4” red oak plywood, set into 1/4” deep dados. The bottom in the front will be a solid 3/4” piece 4” high and will be doweled into the sides for strength. 

My issue is, do I use 3/4” solid edgebanding on the plywood shelf fronts, or iron on veneer? 

When I make the dados in the sides, do I make stopped dados or let the shelves protrude to the ends of the sides?

Im wanting to put some type of profile on the front edges of the sides, to give the piece some character, and if I do, I should probably put the same profile on the shelf fronts. I have an Ogee  bit, which is what my rail and stile bit is. 

I am relying on the shelves, the bottom front piece and the back, to give the whole piece some strength, but I’m not sure that will be enough. 

I have many more questions, but this post is long enough as it is. 

Thanks in advance for any guidance or direction that you might offer. 

37228AB8-7862-4611-8C51-FA370D971DF4.jpeg

1935C514-CB61-4929-8BC1-E7C865D47F86.jpeg

C99F4513-9DA1-41D8-B668-65DF2BF978B6.jpeg

8500F084-D667-49BF-BE7A-6DF77DCA386C.jpeg

05E14FD2-2613-41A1-9640-7BBA9F9490D1.jpeg

9C62A8B0-F032-4675-BAB3-264CE24D764E.jpeg

Have you researched "Shoe Racks"  ?  My memory tells me that the shelves in shoe racks are angled down just a little toward the front.  I'd use stopped dado's, and allow the front section continue to the front edge, and use solid wood for the front edge, and be a touch proud of the shelf itself as a slide out solution.