Chop Block Island

Mike Cain

I'm building an end-grain chop block island that will final measure 1.75"  X 64" x 87".  It won't be used for cutting so I'll finish it with General Finishes High Performance poly.  I cut the all the strips in 1  3/4"  inch wide strips and re-glued them so the top has 1 3/4" cubes.  I've never built a top/board anywhere near this size and I've had some feedback that I should have a bottom to plywood or something for support.  The glue up was all done in Titebond II adding a film of glue to each face going together.  I feel its perfectly sturdy without any additional support from a base but I'd like the opinions of those on this forum.  Here's a picture from the middle of the glue up but it will give you an idea of the project.

IMG_0398.JPG

Thank you for your feedback! It will sit on a set of (6) island cabinets.  There is currently a granite top there with a cook top and this will replace it.  It would seem like the cabinet structure should be enough to support it.  There will be a 9" overhang on one side that will be braced.  If I did have a base, I wouldn't want to be able to see the edge of it.  I'm thinking of using hardboard because it's so thin.  I definitely wouldn't attach it though. 

IMO, the cabinet structure is probably enough support. It would certainly be enough for a long grain block. The question comes up because unsupported end grain can split if enough force is applied between fulcrums. A typical cabinet box might have 24" of open span, so I would consider adding a rail or two if needed to get the span below 18" (chair seat width) or so. That should be enough to keep anything from cracking if someone happens to sit on the counter top, for example. 

• Like 1

If you are considering adding some support to the bottom I'd do it now. Doing so later would not be easy.

I personally would feel more comfortable with a 1/2" ply under neath just to add some rigidity and strength. End grain blocks like this wouldn't have as much strength as a long grain block would. My biggest concern is the 9" over hang. One 200 lb gorilla leaning on that might be more than I'd be willing to risk. Run the ply to  an inch of the edge and use a bevel to make the edge harder to see.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

awesome idea -- just wish I'd have thought about that at design time.  I'm going with a 3/8" inch ply base that I'll taper at the edges to help hide it. There's a 1" overhang around the cabinets with the exception of the 9" in the back.  That will be reinforced by four to six 3/8" X 18" X 2" steel bands that will extend out from the cabinets to 1" of the end of the top.  I'll cut router slots in the ply to make them flush to the bottom surface.  At that point I'm confident that there will be plenty of support. 

Thanks for the feedback!  I sincerely appreciate the helpful thoughts.