Bmac

Maloof Lounge Chair, deconstructing design and building one

Recommended Posts

That is awesome! Not only is it an outstanding job on the ww side but your ability to break the piece down off of pics amazes/ inspires me. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, pkinneb said:

That is awesome! Not only is it an outstanding job on the ww side but your ability to break the piece down off of pics amazes/ inspires me. 

Thanks Paul. I'm actually really surprised myself how well it's going. I've had a few things not go perfectly, the back supports looking too short and the length of front leg above the chair too short for perfect arm stock placement, but those were easy to correct. I think I've just made enough Maloof chairs that I understand his construction. There is no way in a million years I would have figured this out otherwise. 

One annoying aspect of this build is I have to wait until the very end to actually sit in the chair, no early test "sits". In fact the upholstery guy will be the first to sit in it.

When I'm done I can send you a copy of the templates!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I was an upholstery guy I don't think I'd sit in the chairs I did unless I needed to test something. I fear it would cause me to be come somewhat attached to it....

This chair looks beautiful... I really REALLY like it.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

31 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

If I was an upholstery guy I don't think I'd sit in the chairs I did unless I needed to test something. I fear it would cause me to be come somewhat attached to it....

This chair looks beautiful... I really REALLY like it.

The upholstery guy said he'll need to test it some to figure out how much to bulk up the cushions. When we looked at the photo's of the originals he did comment that the cushions are pretty full contoured. 

 When you are ready I can send you the templates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bmac said:

 When you are ready I can send you the templates.

I may take you up on that. I have the PERFECT place for that chair in my house. It looks really fun to build.

Megan just may have vetoed getting me an MS661 for my birthday... :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember there was a feature in SketchUp where you could load a photo and it would convert it to a 3D drawing.  I've never tried it out, though.  No idea if it works well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chet said:

This can be true, when I went to pick up my chair from the upholstery shop all the workers wanted to keep it.  Of course all you have to do is offer a reasonable price for something custom made like that and then all of a sudden the chair isn't as comfortable as they thought.:)

@Bmac this has been great to follow.  I think we have all seen photos of something we would like to make but not having any measurements, only having the photo to go by can make some of us bock at the idea.  But you have definitely proven it can be done.

 

Thanks Chet, my version is far from exact dimensions of the original, guessed at a lot of measurements. Glad you've enjoyed following along. 

4 hours ago, JohnG said:

I’d be in for some templates! :D

Looks amazing!

Thanks John. I'll be happy to share templates but don't expect video lessons to go along with them. 

6 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I may take you up on that. I have the PERFECT place for that chair in my house. It looks really fun to build.

Megan just may have vetoed getting me an MS661 for my birthday... :(

I'll tell you those new saws are terribly expensive. I've had great luck buying refurbished used Stihl 660's. The nice thing about the 660's is they are easy to repair and get parts for. Dropping $600 or so bucks for a used one is a big savings. 

1 minute ago, Spanky said:

Bmac will have templates for rent or for sale soon. :ph34r:

Ha, you got me figured out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I'll tell you those new saws are terribly expensive. I've had great luck buying refurbished used Stihl 660's. The nice thing about the 660's is they are easy to repair and get parts for. Dropping $600 or so bucks for a used one is a big savings. 

I'll say that's about half what I paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can remember when $600.00 would buy you a new 066 stihl. I also, remember gas at 28 cents per gal and a new pickup around $3,200.00 and I’m younger than Cousin Dave too. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh crap... That makes me an old fart.    I remember 19c per gallon gas, cigarettes cost 20c and you got 2 pennies back in the side of the pack. And new pickups were $1999.00, but.. No air conditioning, no radio, no power steering mechanical breaks and tall narrow ugly tires.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RichardA said:

Oh crap... That makes me an old fart.    I remember 19c per gallon gas, cigarettes cost 20c and you got 2 pennies back in the side of the pack. And new pickups were $1999.00, but.. No air conditioning, no radio, no power steering mechanical breaks and tall narrow ugly tires.  

I guess that makes me almost as old & farty cause when I got my license, gas was $.49/ Cdn gallon. One morning on the way to school I was just about out of gas, so my buddies & I scraped together 3 nickels and a dime. With that, we stopped at the full service gas station (that was the only kind then) & got half a gallon of gas & a very dirty look from the pump jockey.

Good times!

Sorry for the hijack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bmac said:

Thanks John. I'll be happy to share templates but don't expect video lessons to go along with them. 

I’d be more than happy to pay for them, too. They’ll probably be stored away for a long time as a “some day” build. I’ll do the guild rocker project first to have my hand held through the process. Don’t think this one would be a good first-chair project. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JohnG said:

I’d be more than happy to pay for them, too. They’ll probably be stored away for a long time as a “some day” build. I’ll do the guild rocker project first to have my hand held through the process. Don’t think this one would be a good first-chair project. 

I wouldn't charge, wouldn't even think of it. It would be a pleasure to see someone else build this.

Yes you would need to do the guild rocker first at the very least. My templates may look more like a puzzle with no directions if not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have the templates in physical style or PDF? Megan is on board with the chair and likes how it looks. All we'd need to do is figure out where it goes in the house.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

Do you have the templates in physical style or PDF? Megan is on board with the chair and likes how it looks. All we'd need to do is figure out where it goes in the house.

They will be in physical form, no PDF. I can trace my patterns on a large sheet of paper and mail them to you no problem. I'll also be happy to point out the joinery I used and where.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That came out fantastic, especially considering you worked from a couple of photos.  I think Maloof would be happy with the results.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 264 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    28518
    Total Topics
    384247
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    21560
    Total Members
    1529
    Most Online
    Breazeale Honza
    Newest Member
    Breazeale Honza
    Joined