Sign in to follow this  
CDawn09

Palm Sander Shocking Me While Sanding

While using my sander, every 60-90 seconds I'll get a pretty good shock in the palm of my hand. I have my shop vac connected (it's not on or plugged in, just trying to direct the dust).  Any ideas why this might be happening and how I can fix it? Thanks!  (It's a 5" Bauer model 1712E-B) 

I'd bet it's static electricity.  A ground wire from the sander around the DC hose  to a screw on the vac or DC. should solve the problem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dust flowing through a plastic hose is a great static electricity generator. I bet your humidity is real low, right. We had to wrap a 12"  PVC extractor pipe at a retreading plant because it was arcing up to a couple of feet away. It's not dangerous itself, but can be painful and annoying as hell, & can startle to the point of dangerous distraction when it happens.

Turn the vac on, you'll be amazed at how much better sanding is when the dust is actually pulled away.

The shock may only be static, but I would take precautions against electrucution from the tool, just in case. 

• Like 1

You can slow the shocking down by wearing a glove on your sander hand. I would still ground everything. 

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

Turn the vac on, you'll be amazed at how much better sanding is when the dust is actually pulled away.

I’m wondering the same. Why is it not on? 

Depending on where you live I know here in MN right now my humidifier can't keep up in the shop. There was a lot of static electricity when I was cleaning up with a dust collector hose last evening, could be something like that I got zapped a couple of times.