MJC

Setting up shop - Newbie needs advice

I have a DC system I will be setting up Wednesday I was just trying to get a jumpstart on getting a couple things ready. I was going to put the fitting inside the dust port then run a straight piece of pvc out to the edge of the bench. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

I don't suppose there is any chance of piercing the partion and coming straight out of tge saw to a more convenient location?

Yeah I could I was just trying to prevent from doing that but if I have to then it is what it is. I would rather have it work right then not cut through. I have not put anything on the other side of that partition so right now it’s just open space.

You can try your A plan with the 90* elbo staying on this side of the partition.  If it doesn't collect the dust well enough then you can go to plan B.

I'm not familiar with your saw, can you switch the dust collector pipe to exit on the side of the saw instead of the back? Might not be possible.

UPS man was good to me today. Look what he dropped off.

The Incra CC sled and the Supercell DC system. I started making a crosscut sled which is on the back on the workbench. I started working on it yesterday and just finished the front and back fence pieces. They are all glued up and ready to be cut to length. I need to make my cuts for the runners and then buy those. I am going to put some T Track on it so I figured I might as well order a couple miter bars and then not have to worry about them shrinking or swelling.

IMG_1757.JPEG

IMG_1758.JPEG

IMG_1759.JPEG

• Like 2

I guess when you get the first one you don’t have to wait as long. They had one ready to ship when I ordered mine but Forest “Sales guy” did tell me the turn around time was a few weeks if they didn’t have one ready. 

Be honest, you just bought it for the yellow and black didn't you? Those are pretty cool shop stools. Please let us know how it works.

I hate to break it to you, but you really don't need a crosscut sled if you have the Incra Miter Express. Read the Incra manuals and watch some videos on youtube. There are so many little things you can with it that you would have no idea without reading the manual. 

I would do hard lines inside the bench. Pvc ideally. I would just go strait to the side and then have a port that you hook the dc up to. The 90 isn't ideal but iirc that saw collection doesn't need a ton of dc flow.

1 hour ago, legenddc said:

Be honest, you just bought it for the yellow and black didn't you? Those are pretty cool shop stools. Please let us know how it works.

I hate to break it to you, but you really don't need a crosscut sled if you have the Incra Miter Express. Read the Incra manuals and watch some videos on youtube. There are so many little things you can with it that you would have no idea without reading the manual. 

Yeah I know but I wanted to make one myself too because I like the idea of having a boxed in type style sled also. Never made one before so figured I would try.

Well that solves the dust-collection-to-the-tablesaw problem very nicely! I'm gonna have to rest from just thinking about putting all that stuff together.

I'm really curious about the Oneida unit also. It looks like it would be ideal for a CNC router.

No, no, you don't need a CNC router - yet.

2 hours ago, Mick S said:

No, no, you don't need a CNC router - yet.

I am crazy but that is one thing I just cant see spending the money on. At least with the stuff I have I can make stuff like scrap wood.....lol

Ok well electrician was a no show so I’m not able to use the saw or DC yet. I have date night with my bride tomorrow evening so hard to say when I will get to play with these things.

i did get the table saw all finished and started putting the cross cut sled together. 

I am going to sell my workbench with the dewalt saw in it. Just looking for some opinions on what others think might be a fair price to ask for it? The saw is a DWE 7480 and is about 8 weeks old. I bought it just to put in this workbench. The workbench measures 7 x 4 x 36.5 and it has 6 casters on the bottom. I’ve attached a few pictures of it. The miter saw is not included and it is setup so you can put the top pieces back in if the miter saw is not in there so you can use it as work space.

C4FD5FD9-FC6C-4530-BFBD-E6DA38961C8B.jpeg

C3FBC0F9-4309-413C-B513-C697D5918BE6.jpeg

68B38AE8-BB40-4B1F-B7DC-F9521D5CBE8B.jpeg

1CB14D87-F301-467D-ADBB-75F000C3A641.jpeg

Not sure what you can get for the bench since it is a one off custom piece, but I would think at least the material cost.  The TS will be easier to sell so I'd suggest trying to sell the the bench and TS as a package first.  

If there is a woodworking club in your area they may have a way to advertise to members.  

Any thoughts to just re-working the bench and putting it to use for a while?