Bow Tie Over Epoxy

Kes121

I have about an 8” long split in a piece I’m working on right now that I have already epoxied. After applying epoxy, however, I decided adding one or two bow ties would look really good in the piece. Am I able to do this with the crack already having been epoxyed?

@Kes121

Question about your photos - is the epoxy fill as wide as it appears to be in your photos, or has the epoxy flowed onto the surface of the slab on either side of the crack, and you'll sand/scrape/plane that overflow away?  If the fill is really as wide as it appears, then I agree with @RichardA - the bowties will look odd, floating in the epoxy.  But if there's just a narrow crack that will show epoxy after you've surfaced the top, then the bowties will be both functional and attractive.

16 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

But if bowties give you the desired look, then yes. Add them in just as if you hadn't epoxied anything, sand flush, and finish as desired.

If you look at the edge on the second photo, you can see that the crack is fairly narrow. Most of what's seen on top is over pour.

I think once it is cured most epoxy is food safe, but you generally won't find mention of that on the label.  Since this is a cutting board I will say it again skip the bow ties, it's just another place where food juices and other bacteria can get trapped if not absolutely perfect in terms of fit.  Also in your original post you mentioned poly, which I highly doubt is food safe.

JMO but I thInk they’re pretty cool if you get them tight. I would only do two though and I would epoxy them into place to minimize another area for bacteria. Remember, there are no dry fits for these. Once you start tapping them into place there’s very little room for recall. 

So the Ads from Amazon on this page, is showing me suspenders and Bow Tie !

I used to cut the space for the bow tie using a 2hp router and I always felt the router was controlling the cut more than me, it will bite into the wood and just keep on cutting.

The 1st time I did it with a palm router,  I never look back. I could never find a reference on how thick the bow tie should be vs the piece they will be inserted into.  I always go for 1/2 to 3/4 of the thickness.

Most of the time, with their irregular shape,  they are used as serving/charcuterie board.  

I do not like either anything with gap(which you most likely will have with bow tie), when it is used as cutting board.