Finding a wood shop space

Hi there,

I'm writing from the Seattle area where I’ve been looking for a wood shop to settle into. The best I’ve found so far is a small mezzanine above a little community shop. However at this point I’ve sized out of the mezzanine and need more space. The only other gig in town seems to be an art collective which is cramped and difficult to get space in.

Im considering renting a space and furnishing it with my own tools but dont have the slightest idea how to go about this. Does any one have experience renting space in a warehouse or some such? Is zoning an issue with bigger tools?

Thanks in advance.

Assuming this is your income, not a hobby, I would make the most of your existing setup for as ling as possible. Setting up a shop from scratch will be a significant investment. Also, consider what you will produce, as cabinet shops (the most common commercial woodwork in my area) use a very different tool set than furniture makes, like most of us here.