Corner Rounding

Fxguy

Quick question. My wife doesn’t like the sharp crisp corners on stock lumber when I use it for a project. What do you guys use to knock down your corners? Do you just use your orbital sander or do you use a router with corner bit? Have both available. Or maybe just a block plane? Just to take the edge off.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For a round over of less than 1/8" radius I use a block plane & then just touch it up with sandpaper to smooth any facets left by the plane. That's much cleaner than just sanding and faster too. Unless there's a huge amount to do, then I'll use a round over bit.

2 hours ago, Minnesota Steve said:

To just take the edge off... a block plane or a sanding block is enough.   Using a sander is hard to control.

I have a 1/8" radius router bit I use if I really want to round off the edges like on a cutting board.  Still it's pretty aggressive.   I might pick up a 1/16" radius and see if I like that a bit better.

Did you know that most high end painters won't accept a round over hand sanded with sand paper. They require you to sand it wit the same sander that you sand the flat surfaces with.. I didn't know the difference till it was proven to me by a painter. He also wouldn't take a Routt hat wasn't sanded either...

I can brealk an edge with a sander or do an 1/8 without a problems using an ROS....

Working in a cabinet shop most time I break edges with the orbital sander, it's just the fastest most convenient way, and Billy Jack is right if they painting of staining they want everything done the exact same way.  Things like trim and moulding that will be installed and finished on-site by someone else, I usually just take a swipe with a sanding block. Large roundovers get done with a trim router followed up with a quick ROS sanding.

On personal furniture items i usually break the edge by hand with the same grit i finish the rest with.

• Like 1

Are you rounding the corner, or are you rounding the edges?  Two different things.

Rounding the edges and corners, but mostly the long edges. I tried with a sanding block and 180 grit (all I had at the moment) and she wasn’t happy with the results saying it was still too sharp.

Think I’m going to take the Festool ROS to it and be done with it. It’s a simple stuffed animal zoo piece so it’s not like it’s high end furniture, but still taking the same care and techniques if I can.

I’m of the firm belief that any furniture in the main living area or bedroom shouldn’t have any sharp corners. Most furniture should be “skin friendly” in that it shouldn’t hurt you if you bump it. 

I use a combination depending on what I’m trying to achieve. Block plane for knocking corners down a little, then maybe a sanding block after that, but if the part is larger I’ll hit it with the router. And then maybe a little sanding after that. 

4 hours ago, Fxguy said:

Rounding the edges and corners, but mostly the long edges. I tried with a sanding block and 180 grit (all I had at the moment) and she wasn’t happy with the results saying it was still too sharp.

Think I’m going to take the Festool ROS to it and be done with it. It’s a simple stuffed animal zoo piece so it’s not like it’s high end furniture, but still taking the same care and techniques if I can.

I agree, given the project. Do as Mamma suggests and sleep easy tonight, or maybe not and reap the benefits! Happy wife, etc. 

• Like 1