Hand plane recommendation

rainjer

I always like to break the edged on my projects when I build them so the edges are not sharp. Most of the time I use a router with a 45 degree bit or small round over but the set up can be a pain and keeping it even can be a challenge. I have also tried sanding block and my RO sander but that can be inconstant also. I me not thinking of trying a small hand plane. 

What would you recommend for this tasks? I prefer vintage tools over new ones but i would consider both.

Jeremy

Any block plane, either bevel down or bevel up.  For chamfering edges, a block plane is perfect for that. A larger plane is uncontrollable for an inexperienced plane user.  A low angle block plane will do more than just finish edges for you, but it'll take time and practice.

12 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

This smaller one is awesome too, but for general edging and bench work the last one is your best compromise. It does it all. Then again, this smaller one is also great for end grain and finer work.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_510.thumb.jpg.60536c99fb338739f8f3ec3361a6d991.jpg

Can't help you on the vintage question but for new this little LN gem cannot be beat! Hands down one of my two favorite planes for just that task. The other would be the LN Violin Maker's Plane. If I had to choose the low angle block plan above would be it.