Sign in to follow this  
Chris whelan

Sticking photo pater to wood with shellac over

Making hour of light placks for cub scout troop. Everything routered save for the 2 patches i am sticking to plack . Thinking of spray adhesive on photo paper back , then spraying shellac over. What do you think long term, ok?

20200126_120535.jpg

I would maybe talk to an art/craft store.   You might have better luck printing something with a color laser(take it to Kinko's and make a copy) than inkjet.  And inkjet photo paper I think it's coated with wax, so it might give you problems.   Only say that because inkjet ink more easily dissolves.  I'd say some kind of spray sealer... an acrylic or lacquer or something would be good.  

Maybe look into mod podge as well.   I'm not an expert, I just remember it being used to glue paper and fabric down.   My mother used to use it for crafts projects.

All the furniture labels stuck under finish and look fine for 100 years. Not really sure why a sticker is being talked down. Just because it is photo paper?

The inkjet ink is more likely to cause problems. If it didn't run when you tried shellac, I'd stick with the shellac..Mod Podge is good for gluing the paper to the wood, though.

I've used the inkjet method a couple times without issue, I'll definitely use it again.