Pedestals For Front Loading washer & dryer

puffin

Hello everyone, I think my next project found me. While getting my clothes washer fixed, I noticed, they aren't particularly ergonomic. The doors are low which creates a lot of bending down to load/unload. Pedestals are surprisingly expensive and this seems like a place where some custom work could be very nice. If I'm going to spend $400-$500 I might as well make something nice (or else try to save a few bucks)

Has anyone make a pedestal or platform for a washer and dryer? I've seen a few examples here and here in the web, but they only seem to be designed to raise up the units and support their weight, but they don't seem to address issue with vibration, noise or maintenance. As you know these things create a lot of vibration and noise when they are working (especially in high speed modes). The last thing I'd want to see is these things fall off the pedestal.

So back to the question has anyone made something like this, if so how did you solve the vibration/noise issues. If not, how would you suggest solving them?

(Oh, a little background, I'm not a pro woodworker or anything. I'm just beginning to learn and like to make thing for around the house. That doesn't mean I want to make junk, I'd still like things to look nice and last.)

i've never made a pedestal for w/d but if i were and my concern was vibrateing off said pedestal. i would make the footprint of the pedestal a bit larger than the units and build a curb around the unit that it would have to jump, or maybe figure a way to bolt the units to the pedestal through a removable front panel. good luck

another thought i had about the pedestals is your esentialy building a speaker box the hollow cavity would amplify the sounds of the machines to deaden the sound i would fill the cavity with somethig like batt insulation or even styrofoam panels to fill the cavity that should kill the sound.

Here's what I'd do - although I don't claim to know what I'm talking about...

Bolt the appliance to a nice heavy sheet of plywood, OSB, etc. Countersink the bolts on the bottom.

Then glue the plywood to a sheet of rubber, like the rubber mats that are used for standing or for kids rooms.

Then build the pedestal and make it sturdy and heavy. Maybe add some sand or weights.

Glue the rubber to the top of the pedestal. Maybe add a lip so that the rubber can't "walk" off the pedestal. But don't let the pedestal touch the appliance or the upper plywood. You want to isolate the vibration from the pedestal with the rubber.

Consider putting the entire pedestal on a waterproof and somewhat flexible mat with lips, like the sort of thing they sell for the cargo area of pickups, SUVs, and station wagons. Maybe put the pedestal on top of another rubber mat.

This should cut down on the vibrations being transmitted to the rest of the house, and also give you some protection from leaks.

Also, consider something like these Versa-Mount Two-Piece Vibration-Damping Mounts.

• 3 weeks later...

Recently purchased a new dryer, and I looked at the pedestals available. I asked the sales guy about building one, and he stated the only material he felt comfortable with (to build one instead of buying one) was concrete.

The basic metal versions are stamped steel - although I haven't seen one more than 1/8" thick - and backed with angle brackets both in the corners/edges and across the middle. (based off the location I went to, anyway.)

I'd suggest, if you are going to build one for your washer and dryer, go with a torsion box design. I'd avoid MDF for moisture reasons. 3/4" plywood, maybe pressure treated 2x material for framework, completely seal the base, six or eight rubber feet to keep vibration from sliding the base around on the floor. Non skid mats for the base where the W&D go, and possibly some foam or rubber pads underneath the units to absorb vibration. (take the one out from in front of the table saw; you're not using it as much as they will. :P )

Yes, you can add drawers to a torsion box design. If you don't want to, go with cross basing support from 2x materials. I personally would add some metal angle iron or straps to stiffen joints, but I don't know if they are necessary.

We just recently purchased a front load washer and dryer. I went through the same thought process as you did. Ultimately I decided to purchase the pedestals. After I installed them, I realized I made a wise choice. Those machines are extremely heavy and the washer spins at an ungodly speed. The pedestals are constructed of steel with designed load cross bracing. The pedestals have predetermined bolt locations to bolt the units and pedestal together. They have adjustable feet through the steel frame bottom member. (It is critical the units are level) You could make your pedestals, but the security that the manufactured pedestals provide for the washer and dryer far outweigh the small amount of extra cost over the lumber and drawer slide costs in my opinion, not counting your design and construction time.

Tim

Is this a stacking set or two separate units? Dryers don't get to spinning fast enough to start banging or walking around but washers do.

I did build a stand for a dryer in one of our rentals for a completely different reason. This was a new townhouse development and the architect had left precisely no space between the dryer and the swing of the laundry room door. The builders' solution was to smash the dryer into the wall, crushing the flexible duct to the outside. I bodgered something together to get the unit high enough to vent out the bottom instead of out the back. IIRC, it was some stumps of PT 4x4 posts held together with whatever 1x stock I had lying around. Looked like crap; but it was done in an afternoon and the next day I had the dryer vented in proper sheet metal with plenty of space for the door to swing.