Ronn W

Dado Stack

I have had an "Avenger" Dado set foryears.  Did not used it much = always thought is was a pain to set up.  It was difficult to get even a single blade on the arbor HOles were rough or undersized)  let alone the whole stack.  My current project needs 13/16" dado in a single pass which uses all the blades and leaves just enough room for the nut arbor nut.  I installed my set and, 3 times that nut came loose during test runs.  It now has chipped carbide teeth and is probably not safe to use. 

Any recommendations on a good quality dado set that can get me 13/16 width?  Any other comments on proper use of a dado stack would also be welcome.

I have, and like the Freud Super Dado, Model # SD508.  I have had it about 5 years now and it has held up real well.  I haven't even had it sharpened in that time, just keep it clean, but it is getting close.  I like the chipper having 4 teeth instead of two, I think it helps give a cleaner cut but I have nothing scientific to prove that. 

1 hour ago, Chet said:

I have, and like the Freud Super Dado, Model # SD508.  I have had it about 5 years now and it has held up real well.  I haven't even had it sharpened in that time, just keep it clean, but it is getting close.  I like the chipper having 4 teeth instead of two, I think it helps give a cleaner cut but I have nothing scientific to prove that. 

X2 i've had mine for a long time and its been sharpened at least twice maybe 3 times. Very happy with it.

I have a Freud also. 8" x 13/16  It is 40 something years old. Been sharpened a few times. Still going.

My saw claims to support 13/16" on the arbor, but I'm too chicken to try. If your arbor nut is coming loose, there must not be a full thread engaged. Mine tightens against the blade spin, so that I can get away with barely more than finger tight installation. 

On 1/28/2020 at 11:12 AM, Ronn W said:

I installed my set and, 3 times that nut came loose during test runs.

First i'm glad you're ok and second i bet that was a very exciting 2 seconds, care to fill us in on what happens when the nut comes off? never had one do that on the TS, i did have a bearing come of a router bit once.

I have a delta uni-saw it came with 2 different arbor nuts the one for regular saw blades is a nut/washer set up the washer is large in dia. and heavy gauge I'm thinking it is for stabilizing the blade, the other nut has no washer it is to be used for dado stacks. Maybe your set up is the same and you could get a different nut in my area we have a store Tacoma Screw that carries just about any screw or, nut maybe you a similar store in your neck of the woods who could help you get a smaller arbor nut.  

Ronn, do you have a Fastenal store anywhere around you?  They can supply a thinner nut, and still allow you to sleep comfortably.

When using all the chippers the instructions say to leave off the outside washer. That's what I do & have never had a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drzaius said:

When using all the chippers the instructions say to leave off the outside washer. That's what I do & have never had a problem.

I do have to leave the washer off - then I have a couple threads exposed.

4 hours ago, treeslayer said:

First i'm glad you're ok and second i bet that was a very exciting 2 seconds, care to fill us in on what happens when the nut comes off? never had one do that on the TS, i did have a bearing come of a router bit once.

I do have to leave the washer off - then I have a couple threads exposed.

When the nut loosens you hear a grindin sounds - a combination of the arbor spinning faster than the blades and the really scary sound of the blades carbide tips hit each other like a toy machine gun.  If you don't shut it off right away, the next sound is the thunk of the nut coming off.  I don't want to wait to hear the outside blade coming off.  If something does not sound right step to the side and hit the stop switch.  No telling if the carbide tips are headed you way.   If you have a zero clearance pinsesrt  it won't be any more.

• Like 1

I just use the nut with the Delta RAS or Unisaw. I've had the Freud blades slip out of alignment after running the saw but nothing critical. ...