Cross Cutting Oak Plywood

rainjer

I am building so modern style end table out of oak plywood. I am having a lot of issue with tear out on both sides of the sheet doing cross cut on my table saw. Rip cut do not have any issues.

I am using a 80 tooth 2.6 mm thin kerf , ATB Grind & 15 Degree hook blade. I have used this blade in the past on Maple and and Birch plywood in the past with no issue. 

I have tried taping the cuts and I get better result in the top but not rally in the bottom. I have tried to scribe the cut with a utility knife but hitting the scribe line is very difficult. I have tried cutting it with my cross cut sled and without using a zero clearance insert.

Most of my cuts is I can get away with a little tear out on the back side but I have I have a couple cut I need clean cut on both sides.

Any ideas? 

I have found oak ply to be a little finicky, I think it is due to the structure of the fibers in oak.  There also is a lot of tannin in oak and your blade can get gummed up quicker.  I use the painters tape and I always make sure my blade is clean and sharp.  I also use a ply, laminate, melamine specific blade.

Maybe you are getting some flex or vibration in your blade that is causing this because it is a thin kerf

Couple options.

Put painters tape where you plan to cut, make sure it's adhered well.

Set your blade height to 1/16" and do a climb cut to score the veneer on the bottom raise the blade the rest of the way to finish the cut normally. Reference : https://woodgears.ca/shop-tricks/tearout.html

The painters tape option is the best though.

• Like 2

The large pores in oak leave spaces between the grain, and the grain loosens and frays when cut.  Painters tape on both sides is a decent solution. Another way is thin out your yellow glue with some water, take a 1/2" brush and paint the cut line. Allow the glue to completely dry, then add painters tape and make your cut.  Don't use the glue trick if you plan to stain. The glue will reject you stain.