Jet Model 716300 17” Drill Press

MJC

Just wondering if anyone has any personal knowledge about this drill press? I just bought one from Grizzly about a month ago and I’ve used it once but after seeing this one at a dealers shop I can see a huge difference in this one from mine. Here is a link to it - Jet 17” Drill Press

The one I bought from Grizzly is the G7944 Grizzly 14” Drill Press

So once again I am thinking about replacing a brand new tool with another brand new tool. 

i really need nice weather to get here so I can get the cars out and play with those. This shop setup is is fun and I’m learning a lot and having a blast but I’m gonna drive everyone here nuts.

• Like 1

I think if I was you, which I am not, I would work with the one you have for a while and see how much you actually use it.   In my shop the drill press is the least used tool its a simple model but it has always done what I have needed.

• Like 2

I think you may be learning to do more research prior to purchase, eh? :)  The 14" Griz has been a well rated machine for many years.  The 17" Jet does have a more woodworking-ish table but, at that price point I would expect it to tilt forward as well.  My no-longer-made Delta machine has a similar table with more elegant controls and left/right plus forward/backward tilt.  I still put an aftermarket table on it.  The point being that either the Jet or the Grizzly could use the same after-market or shop made table and fence. 

I'm with others in suggesting that you run it for a while and see what the limitations are.  If the limitations are swing and you find that 7" between the bit and the post is frequently not enough or that an extra inch or so of stroke would solve all your problems then maybe the double-price would be well spent.  The reason I keep running my Delta is that I have yet to find a drill press under a couple of thousand bucks that is that much better.  Run the 14" for a spell before you jump ship.  There are a lot of disappointing $1000-plus drill presses out there.

• Like 2

Yes, what the other guys said. The jet looks nice, but you'll probably want to buy or make a table to go on top either way. I just have a little 9" drill press in my shop, and it usually is sufficient. There have only been a few times I've wished for bigger (Roubo comes to mind) but I think the 14" grizzly would have covered that. I'd only upgrade it if you repeatedly run into limitations (and you actually use it).

I agree with those that suggest waiting to see how a DP fits with your work flow. Many don't have a DP & see no need for one, and some have one but don't use it much. I have a 17" with a 6 1/2" quill stroke that gets used a lot. I went for the 17" because it was a screaming good deal, thinking it might be a little big. But I do use the full capacity, both stroke & swing fairly often.

There are some features it's lacking though, like a decent depth stop, Mine is the basic threaded rod with a couple of knurled nuts that you spin up & down & it's horrible. I'll be doing a mod on that one of these days. The speed change is very awkward as well.  to loosen the motor, 2 badly placed setscrews have to be accessed, so speeds don't get changed as often as they should.

To me its one of those tools that you need ( I have a 20 year old Delta) but don't need to go crazy on, its in the same category as my Shop Fox spindle sander and Grizzly edge sander. They all do what they are designed to do and while you can spend a lot more money its an area where I personally don't think you need too. I save those funds for my Festool purchases :o

Another vote for using what you have to determine if you really need more. My benchtop PC drill press does 99% of what I need. If it won't reach, I use it to make a quick drilling guide for my battery drill.

IMO the big exception is using hole saws or large forstner bits (>2"). A nice, large DP is useful for those, but there are simple alternatives.

Ok thanks for saving me $500.00 and for giving me an honest answer. 

As for doing the research before buying, well I did as much research as I could with what knowledge I had. Once you start getting deeper into something of course you find more things which is the case here. If I spend the rest of my life doing research and not pulling the trigger I will never buy anything and what I am researching today will become obsolete and I will be researching what is new tomorrow and the cycle will never end. With that being said I bought the Grizzly and then I saw something else that I thought might be better. 

I also change my mind a lot about many things so what I buy today might be gone next week. Some might say it is wasting money but if one is happy then it is all that matters. I do appreciate the feedback though and I think it makes sense. I like the bigger table on the Jet but I guess I will have to find a table that I can put on this one or a way to make one. 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

I agree that the drill press you bought should do just about everything you will need it to do for woodworking.  Building or buying a auxiliary table is almost a right of passage.  Harbor Freight sells a drill press table, but since you like quality this may be the option you prefer.

https://www.woodpeck.com/drilling/drill-press-tables.html

7 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

I agree that the drill press you bought should do just about everything you will need it to do for woodworking.  Building or buying a auxiliary table is almost a right of passage.  Harbor Freight sells a drill press table, but since you like quality this may be the option you prefer.

https://www.woodpeck.com/drilling/drill-press-tables.html

That looks like a nice option. Does anyone else have any experience with this table?

Do you know if this will work with the Grizzly DP I have? 

I have the previous version which uses a similar fence and stop system.  It has worked great. 

573a726cd1812_DP-DC(6).jpg.6649bcf976805bc7a6006186cd9956df.jpg

I just set threaded inserts into the bottom surface and ran bolts in where convenient.

1648029920_DPFence(1).jpg.19a9378979b1082256869c197f5fa54d.jpg

Once you start getting deeper into something of course you find more things

Amen to that! :D

So I called the company and they also confirmed that it will mount to the Grizzly DP with the standard hardware provided. Before I order this I would like see if there are other options out there like this one? I don't want to buy to quickly and regret it...lol

I don't use my drill press that often. My "table" is a piece of scrap wood that i had laying around 3 years ago. Fences and stops are convenient but you can accomplish the same thing with a ruler and something to make a dimple in the wood for a bit to start on.

I think there are other options from Rockler or MLCS. The final option is to buy some t track and make your own. They are really simple. I believe in the last couple months another member did a journal on a new drill press table he made.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

That's a dang fine looking drill press. I really like your mobile mount for it. Nice and WIDE!!!!

Thanks Chestnut. I have to say that if anyone has a Grizzly drill press it will work with what they supply you with but not all that great. The T-Slot washers they provide really do not go well with the Grizzly table but they will catch just enough to hold. For me, just enough isn't good because if you have vibration and it comes loose the outcome could become ugly. I would rather just spend $7.95 like I did and buy the correct ones from Grizzly that fit.

Anyway this is how good Woodpeckers is in my book. I spoke with them about this and they to agree that it is not that well designed for Grizzly presses. I offered to share the photos of the install of the ones I got from Grizzly under their table so they could possibly come up with something more universal in the future. They were interested in getting the photos and wanted as much info as I could get them along with pictures. 

Some of you might have saw a post about my troubles with the saw blade and rubbing. I didn't have a gauge dial so I ordered one from Woodpeckers. I think the cost was $279.99 and with shipping I paid $90.00 for it. They made a happy customer out of me! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/13/2020 at 9:37 AM, MJC said:

Thanks Chestnut. I have to say that if anyone has a Grizzly drill press it will work with what they supply you with but not all that great. The T-Slot washers they provide really do not go well with the Grizzly table but they will catch just enough to hold. For me, just enough isn't good because if you have vibration and it comes loose the outcome could become ugly. I would rather just spend $7.95 like I did and buy the correct ones from Grizzly that fit.

Anyway this is how good Woodpeckers is in my book. I spoke with them about this and they to agree that it is not that well designed for Grizzly presses. I offered to share the photos of the install of the ones I got from Grizzly under their table so they could possibly come up with something more universal in the future. They were interested in getting the photos and wanted as much info as I could get them along with pictures. 

Some of you might have saw a post about my troubles with the saw blade and rubbing. I didn't have a gauge dial so I ordered one from Woodpeckers. I think the cost was $279.99 and with shipping I paid $90.00 for it. They made a happy customer out of me! 

Really nice looking drill press setup. Looking to purchase a DP myself as I’m thinking about starting my Roubo build and need a way to drill lots of dog holes. Thinking about something similar to yours, floor model, with an upgraded table. Which of the three Woodpecker packages did you purchase? Now that you’ve had it a few months, are you pretty happy with the setup?