Sketchup vs. Sketchlist

Guest Kilo

Okay, I am getting back to woodworking after many years away.  I am fairly computer literate but have never used any type of CAD system.  I want to use a design/modeling software for furniture projects, built in benches, etc.  I purchased the shop version of Sketchlist and have been trying to learn it.  I am starting to learn the basics and I like some of the features but it is taking time to get proficient.  Before I spend more time I want to make sure I am not using the wrong program.  So many people post projects designed in Sketchup.  I would rather invest a little more money and be on the right path if I am not already.  Any opinions from people that have looked into both programs?  I would love some advice.  Thanks!

Sketchup is a good choice for making custom designs, and the learning curve starts low, but gets steeper for advanced features. I never tried Sketchlist, so can't offer a direct comparison.

A free alternative that has amazing functionality, but perhaps a steep learning curve, is FreeCAD. It is an Open-source option, comparable to programs like Autodesk Inventor. As I said, there is definitely a learning curve.

One of the great advantages of SketchUp is Bob Lang who has written a great interactive ebook on using the program.  It walks you through all of the major functionality in a step by step fashion and you can follow along in your own version of SketchUp.  Also, you might find some more discussion of CAD programs in the Digital Design section.  

• 1 month later...

I have used both Sketchup and, more recently, Sketchlist. They operate in very different way. The developer/owner of the software has been extremely responsive to me since I originally bought the Shop Version. Then, when there was a recent deal, I upgraded to the Pro Version for an additional $130. (I don't think that deal is available anymore.) Getting used to Sketchlist after using Sketchup for a number of years was a little difficult at first. Now, however, I think that it is a good match for my woodworking hobby. Pricing is also one of the big differences between the two applications. Sketchlist (both shop and pro versions) is purchased via a one-time licensing fee while Sketchup can be used via a free cloud-based application or purchased with an annual maintenance fee. That pricing for Sketchup can get expensive when added up over a number of years. For now, I have decided to stick with SketchList because I think it will serve my needs just as well as Sketchup for less total money over time.

An additional SketchList benefit is that Dave, the developer, is running weekly online support session meetings to answer questions about user problems and to get feedback on the software. Can't beat that for support.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I’ve been using SketchList for about 4 years to design work tables with mortis and tendons, at torsion box work table and preliminary designs for bathrooms. In my opinion it has a few serious flaws from the stand point of basic CAD designing. A few short falls; you cannot use their attributes to place a cutout along the edge of a sheet of ply (a lap joint) without going to a lower level and movie points as you would in a Microsoft box tool; if you want a Tenon at the end of a board and with a chamfered tendon end the software will not allow chamfering the tendon, also the tool will not allow the placement of a hole through the a board and add recessed hole to recess a bolt.  I’m seriously considering paying the fee and change to SketchUp because SketchList too many limitations for what I expect.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

To all

I am a woodworker that was away from the trade for awhile. I have tried sketch up, sketch list 3Dand both are "OK" but I think a parametric cad program is better as you work from a design tree which allows you to go back and edit features anytime during the design process. I would recommend designspark for free,as well as Alibre atom which is only $149 for a license for life offering which is unheard of. Alibre has no maintenance fee and has free upgrades for a year.

• Like 1