Sign in to follow this  
RunnerRN

Pre-stain conditioner on pine

I have heard that some people use more than one coat of pre-stain conditioner before applying oil based stain on pine.  I was wondering if more than one coat actually helps to prevent/avoid  a splotchy uneven stain.

For anyone that has found this helpful, how many coats and how long did you wait between coats of the conditioner.  Then how long after the final coat of conditioner did you apply the stain?  I am using minwax special walnut...it's the new formula that says  "semi-transparent".  Hope this one works OK because I ran out of the old formula!  Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!

It's going to be hard to avoid blothing all together. I suggest that youtest your "system" on a pice of scrap.  Do it exactly the way you plan to use it on the finished work. same sanding, same everything.

Good luck.

You have to experiment.   You might want to look into dyes... general finishes dye stain is fairly easy to use product.   I had some success using that on a maple table... another wood that doesn't take stains well.

This is one of Marc's earlier videos where he talks about this.   I've had good luck with the shellac seal coat as a preconditioner.

But as Ronn said, you need to experiment.   Make a bunch of small 4-6" scrap blocks and try different things on each and see what you like.