locking a sliding bed mechanism

treesner

hey guys I build a slide out bed in my van and I dont like how the end legs slide in and out when I'm in the bed. if I add a clamp to locket down it becomes really sturdy. Anyone have any Idas on how add some kind of quick lock that will work at different lengths as sometimes the bed is always lid out sometimes its just half slid out.. 

my initial idea was to put a series of holes (maybe some kind of metal insert to keep strong) out of the bottom of one of the boards that slides out then in the lower one thats stable and doesnt slide have a pin thats sticking out. so as it slides out you can put it down into the hole. the one that slides out can move up and down while sliding so you could clear the post if you want it to go out further 

IMG_1575.thumb.jpeg.49ab46217e77874ddf3550a001d2dd07.jpeg

15 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Instead of holes, cut a slot along most of the length of one of the sliding boards. Drill a hole through the frame below that slot, drop a toilet flange bolt (flat, oblong head) through the hole, put a washer and wing nut underneath. Loosen to slide, tighten to stabilize.

I like that alternative approach to the problem

my only annoyance on that is my bed slides out in two sections so I would have to maybe crawl over the bed to one side to tighten or lift up the cushions to get under. I'll feel it out in the actual van today and see what its like reaching under 

If you want a slightly quicker way to clamp & release, try a bicycle wheel 'skewer'. The cam-lock action would be faster than a wingnut, but may require you to modify the skewer a bit to avoid having a lump under the mattress. Any place that sells racing bikes, or does bike repair, will have these.