dvanvleet

Matching Bedside Tables

Recommended Posts

On 2/24/2020 at 3:14 PM, wtnhighlander said:

Very nice! I like to see highly-figured wood used as an accent like that.

Knowing when it is enough or too much figured can make or break the piece... good work. Well done!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

Knowing when it is enough or too much figured can make or break the piece... good work. Well done!

Ain't that the truth. A good example would be a Chippendale slant top desk built by Tommy Macdonald. The workmanship and materials are superb, but the whole thing is highly figured maple and is is just a mess. Way, way too busy. Chippendale has a lot going on even if it was made of painted poplar, so when all the figure & highly ornamented brasses are added... Ugh.

Those bedside tables are very nice!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, drzaius said:

Ain't that the truth. A good example would be a Chippendale slant top desk built by Tommy Macdonald. The workmanship and materials are superb, but the whole thing is highly figured maple and is is just a mess. Way, way too busy. Chippendale has a lot going on even if it was made of painted poplar, so when all the figure & highly ornamented brasses are added... Ugh.

Makes me think of Mr. T and all that jewelry. Gaudy. But in that mess there must be something nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone. I didn’t like MCM until I started building it for my clients and now I actually like it. I think I saw too much “DIY” that was built like crap and with bad design. When done right, not that I am doing it right, I think it looks good and is actually a challenge to build.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dvanvleet said:

Thank you everyone. I didn’t like MCM until I started building it for my clients and now I actually like it. I think I saw too much “DIY” that was built like crap and with bad design. When done right, not that I am doing it right, I think it looks good and is actually a challenge to build.

Very nice, like the clean lines and the attention to detail with the continuous grain. Did you use anything to reinforce the miter joints? I'm assuming dominos but wasn't sure.

I agree with you on the MCM stuff, kind of grows on you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was thinking modern contemporary but couldn’t provide a word for the second M. I bet you’re right. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Seems to be a bit of Danish in that scheme of things. The style is not to my liking but the build is outstanding! Fantastic job @dvanvleet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Coop said:

Thanks. Seems to be a bit of Danish in that scheme of things. The style is not to my liking but the build is outstanding! Fantastic job @dvanvleet! 

True, Danish Modern and Mid Century Modern are not very different. In fact I think the more generic term of MCM includes Danish as a subset. But the Danish look is still unique enough to stand out among the broader MCM designs.

I've recently been studying these designs, MCM, Danish Modern, Scadinavian, and American Studio Furniture. Seems to me they are all pretty related and similar and all come from roughly the same time period. Need to get @Chestnut a few book reviews once I'm done my study. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/29/2020 at 9:20 PM, Chip Sawdust said:

Those look nice and should be sturdy. The splayed turned legs, how did you mount them to the bottom of the cabinet section? 

I used legs from TableLegs.com actually. Cheating, I know, but they make a really sturdy system that uses straight legs attached to an angles bracket that is mounted to the bottom.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.