Sign in to follow this  
Mark J

12/4 lumber

If I'm buying wood from the lumber yard what is a reasonable expectation for the actual thickness of 12/4 hardwood?  I know it will be less than 3", but would you expect 2 7/8" or 2 3/4"?  I've seen both.  

depends on who is doing the work, each company is different I once bought some wood that was priced for 3 but it was closer to 2.5. but it was such great wood that I could not leave it int he store.  but more often then not it was at 7/8

From my sources on rough sawn hardwood lumber 4/4 is alway 1" or more. Same on other thicknesses. Usually it will dress on 4/4 25/32 to 7/8". On occasion parts of the board is under. Not enough to complain.

15 hours ago, Mark J said:

If I'm buying wood from the lumber yard what is a reasonable expectation for the actual thickness of 12/4 hardwood?  I know it will be less than 3", but would you expect 2 7/8" or 2 3/4"?  I've seen both.  

Ask Rickey @spanky.

And I'm not complaining, just trying to figure out what to expect, so I can design and plan accordingly.  

The wood I get varies a lot. Some of the rough is right on. Some of it is hit/miss planed and ends up 1/8" under. I don't start to see 1/4"-1/2" under until I get into S3S but i stopped buying that because it's expensive.

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

And I'm not complaining, just trying to figure out what to expect, so I can design and plan accordingly.  

I would design and plan with a confidence level...   If you buy a 12/4 board there's a best guess as to what thickness you're going to get out of it...   Something like this:

2.25" thick = 100% confidence
2.5" thick = 90% confidence
2.75" thick = 60% confidence
2.9" thick = 25% confidence

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

Why not ask the source?  I think there might be standards within the lumber industry. I think members adhere. For me the only time the rough wood ends up too thin is when it is crooked and takes a lot of work on the jointer and planer to flatten it.

• Like 1