homedepot DIY garage build kit

treesner

Anyone ever do one of these kits? wonder if it saves much time/money over / good quality what are your thoughts?
Can anyone estimate how much permitting (California), slab, electric, insulation, paint would end up with one of these builds?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Barn-Pros-2-Car-30-ft-x-28-ft-Engineered-Permit-Ready-Garage-Kit-with-Loft-Installation-Not-Included-THD-BP2CARG/206887030

30 minutes ago, Woodenskye said:

The link said that building is $35K, for the other things you mentioned, I would estimate $12-15K extra.  Slab would be $6-8K, electric $1K, permits $500 to $800, insulation $2500 to $4000 (fiberglass vs spray foam), painting I have no idea.

I think this is spot on for the most part..  The numbers will change depending on where you live but, it's the "not included" costs that can bite you in the back side.

I'm currently bidding out a 16' by 16' storage building and the differences are astronomical!  Current low bidder is at about 11k and the high bidder is at 21k..  My point being, look to your local community and get some bids for building in the size and shape that you want.  Then, compare those to the options like the one listed above..

Sounds high to me, for just the frame, and skin, and I would expect they would just use the cheapest of everything.   I'm no expert on building costs, and estimates though.  I built new buildings (high end (for their own time)waterfront houses) for a living for 33 years, but never figured any kind of estimate.

My method, from the start, for figuring out what it cost to build something, was to build it.

The only thing I know for sure is that if you furnish all the labor, along with a couple of low level helpers, you can build such for a little less than half of what it will be worth.  That was my method of pricing.  I'd know what I had in it, double that, and round up to the nearest round whatever-thousand, or ten thousand, not including the land cost, which would be on top of that.  I think that would work figuring what costs are for building any new building in your area.  My prices may have been a little low, because I never held one for longer than two weeks after I put a price on it, and I never haggled.  They were very good quality though.

When I built my shop I started with a kit like that but buy the time I was done upgrading things I decided it was cheaper to make my own list and buy it that way. The numbers @Woodenskye posted look very realistic to me as well. I built mine about 15 years ago, 26x36 with a 10x14’ room upstairs, for right around $32k that included subbed out slab, heat, central air, and one day crane rental to place the roof trusses, I did the rest.

I often find HD's web site entertaining.  I followed @treesner's link to have a look at the kit and, scrolling down the page a bit, found the "Frequently Bought Together" section.  It lists this kit ($34,499), a kit for a 48'x60' garage ($41,999) and a kit for a 44'x40' garage ($39,999).  "Price for all three: $116,497."  Yeah - I'll bet somebody places an order for that combination every couple of days.  Maybe they have a lot of customers like my wife - she orders three sweaters, decides which one she likes best, and sends the other two back.

• Haha 2

On 2/28/2020 at 2:54 PM, Woodenskye said:

The link said that building is $35K, for the other things you mentioned, I would estimate $12-15K extra.  Slab would be $6-8K, electric $1K, permits $500 to $800, insulation $2500 to $4000 (fiberglass vs spray foam), painting I have no idea.

$1k for electrical?  I got quoted $2500 for a sub panel install here in KC.  Gotta think wiring up a new building would be significantly more, especially in California.

59 minutes ago, TheAverageCraftsman said:

$1k for electrical?  I got quoted $2500 for a sub panel install here in KC.  Gotta think wiring up a new building would be significantly more, especially in California.

You may be right, a lot of unanswered questions, is the OP able to do the wiring himself, new service, upgrade existing, or just running from the house to a sub panel.  My quote was based on my experience with my electrician running from main house panel to new sub panel 100 feet. 

1 hour ago, TheAverageCraftsman said:

$1000 for electrical would get you a minimal amount of receptacles, switches and light outlets, but no panel of incoming feeder. No where near enough for use as a shop. Assuming a 100A feeder to the house 50' away, panel for the building, and a decent amount of electrical for receptacles & lighting would be closer to $4000 - $6000.