Furniture Signiture Ideas

So i had an awesome idea to have our wedding guest book be a furniture part where the bottom or inside is signed by our guests. The idea is it's a part that would be in a location that would be possible to be seen even if it's seen by looking at the underside of a table. The back of a back panel that would only be seen when the piece is moved is not really what I'm thinking. I also would like when it's closed to not be visible. As much as I enjoy my friends and family I don't want to stare at their graffiti all the time.

My initial ideas are the bottom of our kitchen table that is on the list to make. You'd have to stick your head under the table to see anything though. Another idea would be the insides of the doors for a sideboard or the drawer bottoms for something like a side board.

A lot the people on here have some great ideas so throw them out there.

• Like 1

I think that is a cool idea.  Me personally, I would probably do it on a drawer bottom on the inside of a drawer, not the underside.  You would have to remove the contents of the drawer to see it, which I would prefer, then to get down on my hands and knees to see it from underneath.   But that could be from the fact that at this point in my life I avoid anything I can that requires getting down on my knees.  Also in the drawer of a sideboard or even a door inside, Most times a sideboard is some place you keep nicer stuff for dinner occasions and those dinner occasions usually take place when friends and/or family will be over.  What better time to open the drawer and be reminded of everything that has happened since that day.  Only time you will be under the table is when you are looking for the battery you dropped from your hearing aid or the contact lens you dropped or your baby's pacifier.  And none of those times is going to give pause to look up and see the names of friends and family.

On a side note, you would want to think about creating a border ("don't write beyond this point")  So that you don't end up with some body's name obscured in a grove or dado or being milled off during construction.

As a added Note: When I mentioned this to my wife she suggested maybe using some of the wood for frame parts for one of your wedding pictures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I like the inside the door idea you'll be able to enjoy it more often :)

I agree - and you'll also see it without necessarily going looking for it.  Sometimes the unexpected reminders of people you care about are the most pleasant.

• Like 1

Coming from a large family with the associated dynamics, I might suggest having people sign in pencil :rolleyes:.  

Seriously, I like your idea.  Here are my suggestions.  I agree with Chet's thinking and would add that in addition to being a prominent piece of furniture it should be one that is not likely to be replaced--a kitchen table sees a lot of wear and tear.  But just in case you do part with it someday the signatures should be on a part that can be removed and kept.  

But I like Mrs. Chet's idea even better.  A wide flat picture frame for a wedding picture would have a lot of space for signatures.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, legenddc said:

I was going to suggest a blanket chest or a whiskey/wine cabinet. That way every time you go there to get a drink you would see it all on the back of the door.

I can count on 1 finger the number of times I've consumed alcohol in the last 5 years so I probably won't be making a whisky cabinet anytime soon. I like the idea of the blanket chest but the previous views of having it be a piece of furniture that is prominent in the house is appealing to me.

Megan is 100% on board with the idea and allowed me to rearrange my project schedule to make it work. Beings that a sideboard is on the schedule anyway I'm leaning that way. I'm thinking the doors would be the best idea. The internal drawer bottom is a good idea but that is likely to be permanently covered up.

A bar has more value than during to get drunk. I had numerous poker games and the guys/gals enjoyed it. I've always wanted one as a cabinet maker and when I build a house I encoded it.

If I sell it, it won't be of value to everyone , but anybody wanting a real man cave will..

I think I drink a beer on grass cutting days. Rarely any other days except holidays...

images.jpeg.jpg

I like the cabinet door idea. When I sign my work I usually do it where you’ll only see it when you look underneath or inside, but that’s not the same thing you’re talking about. A whole bunch of signatures will require a fair amount of space so a door or drawer bottom(s) seem the best place if you want to see signatures without turning a table upside down. :) 

On 3/8/2020 at 8:55 PM, Woodenskye said:

I agree with the frames, once you find a good pen let it dry and then spray with lacquer or the ink will start to fade.

Do some tests with the chosen pen first. I did something similar and found that wipe on poly (ARS) made my sharpie bleed less than any other finish I had on hand. 

On 3/9/2020 at 3:35 PM, legenddc said:

...Or a similar cabinet for camera gear?

I recommend one of these whether or not it’s for the wedding signatures. I love mine, the only thing I’d change about it would be to make it bigger. :P

The inside of doors it a great idea. If you are so inclined, you could make the signature panel separate from the door panel and removable. The rails and stiles are just a big frame. I would rabbet the inside. Then put it together like a picture frame with the signatures visible on the inside. The signature panel could then be removed and displayed in a frame or kept if you did have to part with the sideboard later in life. 

Inside of drawers would be hard to sign and guaranteed to have something on top of them.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 2:54 PM, elrodk said:

The inside of doors it a great idea. If you are so inclined, you could make the signature panel separate from the door panel and removable. The rails and stiles are just a big frame. I would rabbet the inside. Then put it together like a picture frame with the signatures visible on the inside. The signature panel could then be removed and displayed in a frame or kept if you did have to part with the sideboard later in life. 

Inside of drawers would be hard to sign and guaranteed to have something on top of them.

This is a good idea but a saw would accomplish removing the panel in the future if need be.

I've roughed out a design for the sideboard and my goal is to do an inset panel that is flush long the back side. Not sure the details and probably won't know them until i get well into it. Might do a veneer panel might do solid.