Bought some furniture for the wife this weekend

Yes, I bought it instead of buying it. Went to an estate sale and got a cherry bedroom suit by Kincaid. (Made her happy.)

And ... of course I looked at the construction. When it comes to the bones, I'm there. (That felt good.) Maybe even a little better. And I suspect most here are, too. Their dovetails were messy. Not cleaned up, sanded and smooth. Just glued together with chips hanging off.

Where I would lack would be in finishing/appearance. That's going to have to be my next learning experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wtnhighlander said:

As for the dovetails, we woodworkers are really the only ones that care if they are tight and smooth. And frankly, no one else cares to even see them.

I get what you're saying. Perhaps I've turned into the woodworking equivalent of what photographers call a "pixel peeper," one who looks at and may be critical of what are otherwise insignificant matters

• Like 1

Collin, we just got rid of the very same dresser about a year ago. It was part of a set that included a four poster bed that was getting really hard to make up for my wife and even me. I hated to part with it as it was really well made.