3/16” cherry dowel source

JohnG

On 4/18/2020 at 4:24 PM, JohnG said:

Then I found out that I don’t have a good way to cut these.

It's well known that i'm the King of the Idiots so why not just turn on the lathe and apply hacksaw and let the lathe do the work, should be able to do at least 3 at a time in succession, i'm probably missing something so forgive me

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, treeslayer said:

It's well known that i'm the King of the Idiots so why not just turn on the lathe and apply hacksaw and let the lathe do the work, should be able to do at least 3 at a time in succession, i'm probably missing something so forgive me

I was thinking the same thing with a handle like this

See the source image

47 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Maybe with the handle it would work better, or if I changed the lathe speed, but when I first tried that the blade really wanted to jump around before biting in. 

Maybe a small triangle file to cut a notch while the lathe is running to give the hacksaw blade a place to reference from 

• Like 1

I don't even have a hacksaw these days, at least not one that I can find. :o

I may try the file idea, but it really doesn't take too long to cut through the brass. I considered using my HSS parting tool, but then had second thoughts.

Haha I’ll probably not make another for at least 5 years. 
One tip, if you make a wooden insert like I had to, drill the hole once it’s on the lathe and mounted in the chuck. On the first one I made, I drilled the hold first and used the hole to locate it on centers to round it out, but I ended up with some wobble in the peg. That’s why I made the new one. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JohnG said:

Finally finished these awful things. 

0C58805E-BE23-4788-827D-C05232D13F82.thumb.jpeg.5394d2c38e223da5ef241633480c9d3b.jpeg

Did you ever say what function these will perform? Sure would like to see the finished product!

7 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Brass suppositories??

;)

Now that’s funny! 

25 minutes ago, Coop said:

Did you ever say what function these will perform? Sure would like to see the finished product!

Now that’s funny! 

34 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Brass suppositories??

;)

@wtnhighlander nailed it. Brass because the normal ones don’t last long enough, and 96 of them because, well, it’s a serious issue...:lol:

On the bright side, after I use them for a while, I can clean them up and use them on a shelf I’m making for my wife. She’s into quilting and sewing, etc so this shelf will hold her various colors and types of thread spools and bobbins. The shelves have vertical pins to keep the thread spools organized and horizontal pins (coming out of the front edge of the shelf) to hold a bobbin with matching thread. Cherry case and shelves, back will be cherry veneered BB ply with a french cleat to hang it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1