Recommended Posts

Hi,

I have a small Makita shop vac hooked up to my chop saw.

The filter clogs up pretty quickly and it loses its suction.

Could anyone recommend an alternative, ive been looking into a something like this... Dust Commander X30 - 30 Litre Industrial Steel Kit

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XW9H1DF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A5ADO59JXP9FR&psc=1

But im not 100% sure it will prevent the fine dust from going into the vac.

Im not interested in making my own one at the moment.

 

Many Thanks

 

Luke

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I run a cheap shop vac through a dust deputy. The vacuum also has a cloth filter before the main filter that needs to be washed occasionally.

This is the one I've got setup  - it's cheap but coupled with the dust deputy, does a good job.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/127843-detroit-1600w-20l-wet-dry-vacuum-synchro-socket-with-adapter-detvac220s3 and  https://www.totaltools.com.au/108824-detroit-cloth-vacuum-filter-detvac1

https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy/dust-deputy-deluxe-cyclone-separator-kit

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

A cyclone will dramatically reducing the clogging of your shop vac filter. I had one of these https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy/dust-deputy-deluxe-cyclone-separator-kit with a shop vac and it went from clogging ever 5 gallons of dust collected to never clogging again. I was vacuuming up fine dust from the shop as well as plaster dust and a lot of other debris.

2 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Even without a cyclone separator, adding a bag filter to your vac saves replacing the more expensive pleated filter so often.

You are supposed to replace those filters? I always just cleaned it out with compressed air and put it back in. Though i went to bagged vacs and will never look back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

You are supposed to replace those filters? I always just cleaned it out with compressed air and put it back in. Though i went to bagged vacs and will never look back.

I bought my little shop vacuum long ago and bagged the filter. Since new I’ve never replaced that filter, although one day I probably should. I take it out, thump it on the ground, blow it out, re-bag it and put it back in service. I don’t need HEPA cleanliness and it’s worked well for me without blowing dust around in the shop. The bag really helps a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

I bought my little shop vacuum long ago and bagged the filter. Since new I’ve never replaced that filter, although one day I probably should. I take it out, thump it on the ground, blow it out, re-bag it and put it back in service. I don’t need HEPA cleanliness and it’s worked well for me without blowing dust around in the shop. The bag really helps a lot. 

I have the ct vac so the filter isn't bagged the bag is the filter of sorts. Dust goes in the back bag gets thrown out (well in my case i empty the bag multiple times before i dispose of it).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, namluke said:

Hi,

I have a small Makita shop vac hooked up to my chop saw.

The filter clogs up pretty quickly and it loses its suction.

Could anyone recommend an alternative, ive been looking into a something like this... Dust Commander X30 - 30 Litre Industrial Steel Kit

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06XW9H1DF/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=A5ADO59JXP9FR&psc=1

But im not 100% sure it will prevent the fine dust from going into the vac.

Im not interested in making my own one at the moment.

 

Many Thanks

 

Luke

 

I don't have a chop saw, but I do have the  DUST COMMANDER DLX ESD   connected to a Festool CT26E. 

Ca.jpg

This is a powerful combination, and used effectively with a Domino as well as the table saw guard, as shown here. I imagine that it would handle your chop saw.

The Dust Commander is much the same as a Dust Deputy, perhaps a little better. 

What is relevant is that the hoses used for extraction from a chop saw need to be wide: 35mm minimum. Run a Dust Commander or Dust Deputy between the two, and you should see an improvement.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

Even without a cyclone separator, adding a bag filter to your vac saves replacing the more expensive pleated filter so often.

Yeah, these things... (uk link for op)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shop-vac-901-02-Filter-Bags-Pack/dp/B07F3CD3W8

Or they also sell the paper bags for use inside the shop-vac.   I've always used those when I'm going mobile and cleaning up crap.   I try to avoid having to clean the filter as it just makes a bloody mess even outdoors.

Otherwise the Dust Deputy...   I see it's a bit expensive in the UK(likely because it's USA made and has to be shipped), but I've had one for 9 years and had really good luck with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Dust-Deputy-Cyclone-Kit/dp/B002GZLCHM

I've no experience with those knockoff cyclones.... They probably work though.   The buckets that come with the dust deputy kit are thicker plastic and won't collapse under the suction.   That's just something to be aware of.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Dust Deputy is the way to go and it makes a HUGE difference.  Practically all of my sawdust (even the fine particulates) are collected by the DD and never make it to the shop vac or filter.  I actually hadn't checked the filter for quite some time and when I opened the shop vac up about a week ago, was surprised that there were only a few pieces there (well under a handfull) and the filter was very clean.  I use the shop vac / DD combo for my benchtop and handheld tools, and a 2hp Grizzly G0548Z with one micron canister filter and a Super Dust Deputy cyclone for my stationary tools.

Assy Table k.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if Clean Stream makes a filter for your Makita.  I run them in both of my Ridids which also have Dust Deputy setups before the blower.  One of the Clean Streams is over 10 years old and shows no sign of needing to be replaced.  You can just toss them on the lawn and hit them with the hose.  The Dust Deputy separates so well that I eliminated the clumsy barrel and use a small filter/spoil box.  I get about a tablespoon of spoil in the filter box once or twice a year.  The Dust Deputy gets everything else in the 5 gallon bucket.

I went from this:

Vac-cyclone-1.jpg.6b4656c58965fefb59ea993f33f46ea0.jpg

To this:

5872f094c4b1e_RidgidVacMadv1(12).jpg.812752e2c414aff0901644b07b34adcc.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.