How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

31 minutes ago, Coop said:

I actually demand more from myself than she does. She’s pretty easy on the old man but it might just be a ploy. June 30th will be my bologna sandwiches and chips going away party. I was told if I wanted beer, I will have to bring my own. 

Send me the address. I'll make sure you have beer!

• Like 1

Today ends the 11th week of teleworking for me. I can't say I've missed the commute; I've saved a lot of gas and time this way. I can't say I miss the office - I prefer my home to anywhere else. Can't say I'll miss putting on a mask to go into any store though; that will be a relief.

What's the end game? When someone announces there's a vaccine or reliable treatment for this bug. But who knows when that will happen? Some say a year from now, others say they're working on it at breakneck pace. So meanwhile we stay home and try not to get any work missed that can be done electronically. Surprisingly, our office has adapted quite well to the new normal, with electronic processes in place we never pondered before. So when things do go back to "normal," it won't be the same at all. I expect to spend a lot more time working from home and not making that commute. I expect a lot of other offices will do that same.

I expect some landlords to lose their primo business leases when the business owners look around and say, "I don't need all this floor space when I can have people do their work from home." So real estate will shift in the commercial realm until creative managers can find a new way to use that building.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Coop said:

What type of items do you make for the craft fair? 

I've been working on a batch of 35 jewelry boxes, 20+ end grain cutting boards, other serving boards.  For smaller stuff I have another ornament design that was too complicated and was going to make a huge version of it as a display and hang the small ones on it as it's a tree.  I have some other older ornament designs I could do but not really sure how well ornaments sell in August.  I was thinking about doing some barrettes but I'm pretty sure they would consider those to be jewelry that I would have to be juried for again.  Became a moot issue before I asked about it.  The sub $25 impulse buy range is something I haven't really thought much about before this year.  Trying to come up with things that are still "me" at that price point, or even twice that really, is tough.

1 hour ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Hey I know that project :)

Took this while still fitting the outside piece of ebony. G&G bed frame :)

947426A1-2124-4BA8-BD59-A89A5976D396_1_105_c.jpeg

yep, that's it. my pic is of the footboard. I modified it so that it does not stick up above the mattress. I basically eliminated the spindles and middle rail. i'm using African mahogany, with Dinizia for the accents.

• Like 1

Smart move - the spindles were a bugger! Not only all the mortises (which I did before I bought my mortiser) but just lining them up for gluing :) But it turned out nice enough. I like red mahogany stain on white oak. It’s not the same grain but it’s a deep, rich color and tries to be mahogany :)  Ebony still goes well with it. I’ve never worked Dinizia ...

2E3E600E-3B3D-4011-8CC0-9001263A71AC.jpeg

• Like 1

Chip, really great looking project. 

As my wife and I get older, I help her more around the house, changing sheeting being one of them. We finally had to resort to buying a br set where the footboard had less obstacles. Spindles in this case would have been eliminated completely to aid in tucking the sheets and spread in. Enjoy youth as long as possible! :)

• Like 1

Our province is starting to go backwards. We recently entered "phase 1" of reopening, but some people just don't comply with the rules. Our cases have spiked last week, after weeks of steady decline. There is discussion of "re- closing" things that have been permitted to open (with strict rules). 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Smart move - the spindles were a bugger! Not only all the mortises (which I did before I bought my mortiser) but just lining them up for gluing :) But it turned out nice enough. I like red mahogany stain on white oak. It’s not the same grain but it’s a deep, rich color and tries to be mahogany :)  Ebony still goes well with it. I’ve never worked Dinizia ...

2E3E600E-3B3D-4011-8CC0-9001263A71AC.jpeg

Did you put the plugs on the inside of the footboard as well, at least the top ones at the bend? Something to admire when I'm laying there with my coffee.

8 hours ago, Shane Jimerfield said:

Did you put the plugs on the inside of the footboard as well, at least the top ones at the bend? Something to admire when I'm laying there with my coffee.

I did :) I'm kind of retentive about that stuff. I do that on all my G&G stuff since they did it that way back then as well. Didn't want it to look bad if it was pulled away from the wall.

I've been using part of my quarantine time to put things in order. That included getting rid of tons of useless technical manuals from products that do not exist anymore. I kept the Apple II and the IBM PC manuals for sentimental reasons though...

I also kept the following book for no reason :D

20170824_224927.thumb.jpg.5919854d6ed53ff6408fefbf5522f9d6.jpg

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Encyclopedia sets seemed so yesterday when the likes of Encarta replaced them. How many years has it been since anyone used Encarta?

‘96?
Gloved and masked teachers are shuttling bags of locker contents to the front door for parent pickup today. Blech. 

7 hours ago, Immortan D said:

I kept the Apple II and the IBM PC manuals for sentimental reasons though...

As I recall, IBM did not supply a manual for the original PC. They supplied a BOOKSHELF of manuals. I once used the diagnostic flow chart from that set to diagnose which memory chip, and which bit on the chip, had failed. Of course, it was soldered into the motherboard, so I never fixed it anyway.

The mark of a REAL computer tech (nerd) is the ability, and will, to re-string a memory core....

• Haha 1