How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

4 hours ago, Dave S said:

Turns out my wife can cut hair just fine!  38 years together and who knew. Me and barbers are through I tell you through :rolleyes:. It's probably a good thing for me anyhow since my long-term barber is about ready to retire. He finished every cut with a back massage. Now that's old school.

My barber is a bit old school as well, When he's done cutting, we get a hot towel on neck and shoulders along with a 10 minute shoulder rub.   I quit going for the haircut, but I do go for the towel and rub.  If I wern't careful, I could stain my jeans over that.

5 hours ago, Dave S said:

Gratefully, nowadays wasn't always and I'm glad I got to experience it. Still nowadays has much to offer like chatting with a bunch of woodworkers from all over the place about barbers and wives cutting hair! Yes sir, like hanging out at the local pub.

And a lot less arm work that you'd do at the pub.

• Haha 1

On 6/4/2020 at 11:01 AM, RichardA said:

My barber is a bit old school as well, When he's done cutting, we get a hot towel on neck and shoulders along with a 10 minute shoulder rub.   I quit going for the haircut, but I do go for the towel and rub.  If I wern't careful, I could stain my jeans over that.

I got a haircut in Taiwan once and got a shoulder and scalp massage beforehand, and an espresso. I had no idea what was going on since we couldn't communicate. It took three people to massage, cut and dry my hair. The haircut was good though.

I am now an official victim of COVID-19. After 3 months of working from home @ reduced hours I was furloughed, along with 35 other people, until further notice. It looks like I will be off work for at least 2-3 months if the company itself survives. The good news is I will be able to collect unemployment.  Because I was furloughed I do not need to look for a new job but I still will just in case the company does not make it.   

I am looking forward to spending more time in the garage working on woodworking projects. I also plan on working outside replacing my fence once the weather gets better.

Jeremy

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

Sorry to hear about the furlough.  I hope you have no difficulty getting unemployment, but I have to say the State of Illinois' performance in that area has been abysmal. 

When they reduced our hours in March I was told by my employer apply for unemployment to supplement my income so I have been filing claims since then. Unfortunately because of my income from working 32 hours a week I made to much to actually receive any payments. I called them Friday and they confirmed I will start receiving payments once my after this week. Also since I was furloughed and not layed off, I do not need to look for work.

Jeremy

• Like 1

Yesterday my wife and I drove about 70 miles to attend a nephews bd party and crawfish boil. We were 2 miles from our destination when my son calls me to tell us that a co-worker of his fiancé’s tested positive for the virus on Friday. Our thing to bring to the party was a large ice chest. We put on our mask, delivered the ice chest and explained why we were not staying. Son and his fiancé are being tested tomorrow. If either test positive I guess wife and I will have to quarantine for two weeks. 

• Sad 5

11 hours ago, Coop said:

Yesterday my wife and I drove about 70 miles to attend a nephews bd party and crawfish boil. We were 2 miles from our destination when my son calls me to tell us that a co-worker of his fiancé’s tested positive for the virus on Friday. Our thing to bring to the party was a large ice chest. We put on our mask, delivered the ice chest and explained why we were not staying. Son and his fiancé are being tested tomorrow. If either test positive I guess wife and I will have to quarantine for two weeks. 

Hope you and your family stay safe! Glad you got that call before you went to the birthday party.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I know several folks that have contracted the disease, and most recover quickly enough. But at least one member of our church congregation has died from it, and another close friend has been on a ventilator for two weeks now. She cotracted it from her adult daughter, who was asymptomatic, and didn't even know she carried it. My son, still living with us, just started an internship at the local hospital. Our concern is higher than ever.

I am blessed to work for an 'essential business', so I haven't missed any work, but we have come dangerously close to closing the plant for lack of manpower.

Mainly just concerned that more people are giving up on taking precautions.  It's growing around here now, like it hasn't so far.  Several deaths, including one 52 year old, who seemed perfectly healthy.  We aren't worrying ourselves about it, but continue to take precautions.

We're mainly sick of the people who refuse to wear masks in stores.   Everyone needs to do their part.

None of our close friends have become ill.

• Like 2

My daughter got sent home from school after testing positive. It meant two days of sore throat and one dizzy spell for her. Since they sent her home, all three of us living here are forbidden to return to our schools until the 23rd, or 14 days beyond her quarantine period. Unless...

If I test positive, I can return to works ten days after the onset of symptoms, or from a positive test. More annoyed than anything right now. My daughter’s school had her isolated in a vacant room. I am unsure why we were forced to move her rather than her isolation coming to full term where she was. This one circumstance seems like forced exposure. 

2 hours ago, Tom King said:

We're mainly sick of the people who refuse to wear masks in stores.

It drives me nuts when people wear their masks on their mouth without covering their nose. Grrrrr.

My son (35) had bronchitis, which as an asthmatic, he gets fairly frequently. He went to urgent care, which was closed, so he was forced to go the the hospital. Because he was coughing, the forced him into the COVID testing tent. He tested negative. About a week later, when the bronchitis wouldn't respond to the antibiotics, he went back to the docs, he was retested for COVID and tested positive. Pretty sure he got it at the hospital as he had been isolated before and after. He ended up coughing so hard he sprained the muscles in his chest. He is now symptom free. Not a fun time!

3 hours ago, Tom King said:

We're mainly sick of the people who refuse to wear masks in stores.   Everyone needs to do their part.

58 minutes ago, Robby W said:

It drives me nuts when people wear their masks on their mouth without covering their nose. Grrrrr.

+1

It makes me want do something to drive up global warming, ...or least ways get a mask with an exhaust valve.

Sorry for those of you that it's getting into your families.

One thing I forgot about the difference for me is that I've been working by myself since the middle of February.  I've actually gotten used to it, and may not change.  Now, I can work as long as I want to, or to get to a later stopping place.   Also, some weeks I'm working seven days, and have to look to see what day it is.

1 hour ago, Tom King said:

Sorry for those of you that it's getting into your families.

One thing I forgot about the difference for me is that I've been working by myself since the middle of February.  I've actually gotten used to it, and may not change.  Now, I can work as long as I want to, or to get to a later stopping place.   Also, some weeks I'm working seven days, and have to look to see what day it is.

And you’ve probably come up with innovative ways of doing things by yourself that you once depended on a helper. I know I did/have since my son left home years ago.

@Robby W, how is your son doing now?