How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

My wife and I will get it when it becomes available .

We already have covid, and are in quarantine now. We had mild headaches last Sat. and my chronic cough seemed worse, but we didn't think to much about it till my wife lost her sence of smell and taste on Mon. We tested Tue. morning and it came back positive. All told we are fortunate to have not been hit hard by it.

8 hours ago, Coop said:

Another exposure the day after Thanksgiving. Two people, a couple, two of 8 there, tested positive. The two thought it was allergies but tested anyway. No further symptoms from either one of them. Just curious, amongst us, who will opt for the vaccine? My wife and I, will. 

As soon as possible.

We probably will, but are not in a rush, since we already had the virus. We have some concern about Cody being in the "first wave", since he is working in a hospital, and some severe allergic reactions have been reported. At this point, I would feel more comfortable with the Maderna vaccine, as it seems there is less risk of spoilage, given its less stringent storage requirements.

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

and some severe allergic reactions have been reported.

For the record, the two people that had bad allergic reactions to the vaccine had a history of severe allergic reactions.

There’s not enough data to be certain that a subsequent infection will not be worse than the first. There have been cases of it going both ways. 

My wife’s coworker got on one of the trial groups for the vaccine and he did agree that it was pretty rough. 2-3 days of strong flu-like sympoms, much worse than a typical flu shot. I hope that will not dissuade the masses from getting it. 

• Like 1

Vaccines weaken the immunity as you actively need to fight off the weakened infection they give you. This opens you up to weakness to other pathogens. What most people do wrong is failing to limit interactions following any vaccine. If you take it, self quarantine for a few days after you get a shot. 

Back in my youth when I was racing, we used to wash the face shield of our helmets with Dawn dish soap and only partially rinse it. The small amount of residue would prevent the fogging. I can attest to the fact that a fogged face shield at 200 mph causes a bit of a problem. This truck worked for me. Now days, they have better stuff that the fuel drivers use, but I am not sure what it is.

• Like 1

@wtnhighlander Since I was racing in sportsman classes, I would be surprised to find I was on TV, but it is a nice fantasy. I enjoyed those times and learned a lot. Tearing apart a piece of machinery does not bother me at all. Good times!

I also saw the comments on Jay Bates site. I am a bit jealous as we don't have any dragstrips in San Diego area. I used to race at Irwindale and Orange County raceways, but they are gone now. Because of COVID, Pomona is shut down, so I didn't l get to see the finals this year. 

To bring this back to woodworking, we did have wooden grips on our steering wheel ^_^

• Like 1

I'm in Tennessee, Robby. About half way between Nashville and Memphis along I-40. Bit of a drive to SoCal. 

Ages ago, I spent some time on that side of the country, and drove the coast highway from Oregon to LA. Beautiful country, really nice people, can't stand the cities...I'm far too hick to deal with so many people that close together.

1 hour ago, Robby W said:

I would love to live somewhere where the state colors weren't light brown, medium brown and dark brown, but everywhere that is green is also really humid and hit during the summer. I guess you can't have everything.

I’ll take a humid 90 over a dry 105 any day. 
I always find it curious that my relatives from out west feel claustrophobic out in the woods over here with no “view,” and I feel the opposite discomfort in SoCal with nothing for miles around and no “view”.

Wait.... What are "woods"? That is something I love about the Eastern part of the US. We have conifer forests in some areas, and the Northeast has forests, but So. Cal basically has desert. And for lumber, you basically have to buy it. Only urban lumber here and not much of that.

• Haha 1