How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

I forgot about eucalyptus trees. We have gillions of them. They are known as killer trees because they tend to drop big limbs on passersby. And they go up like a candle when on fire. They are a bear to cut down because they are so hard. Originally brought here from down under for railroad ties, they now infest California. Their leaves are sticky and the seed pods hurt if you step on them barefoot (hey, I was a kid once!). And you can't cut decent lumber from the trees. The stuff twists and splits like crazy. 

You can make good stuff to clear your nose from the oil. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Eucalyptus sounds a lot like sweetgum, only more aromatic. Lots of that stuff around here. Supposed to make nice furniture if you can get a plank to dry flat.

There are two type of eucalyptus, one is supposed to be better for furniture.  Unfortunately that isn't the one that is here all over California.  My dad had a small chest that he brought home from Australia from during WWII.  That thing to this day still smell great every time you open it and is actually a pretty wood.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Coop said:

Almost don’t want to get tested tomorrow but I guess we better. But hey, 14 days of quarantine means a couple of days of shop time. 

Per CDC guidelines, if you get tested on day 5 after known exposure and are negative, you can end quarantine after day 7 from the exposure date.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JohnG said:

Per CDC guidelines, if you get tested on day 5 after known exposure and are negative, you can end quarantine after day 7 from the exposure date.

Local restrictions can be, and often are more restrictive. Our local health department requires two full weeks from exposure and a negative test does not impact that. A positive test however, limits to ten days after symptoms set in. Always good to know your local guidelines. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JohnG said:

I wonder why the two extra days of quarantine after the negative test? But then it usually takes 3 days to get the test results back.

10 hours ago, JohnG said:

We called this morning to make an appointment and they told us to wait 5 days after exposure. 

Just heard on the evening news that the new strain that's been hitting up the UK has been discovered in Colorado.  The affected individual has no travel history.  

2 hours ago, TerryMcK said:

I just need a holiday away somewhere but unfortunately that is not possible.

Amen.  

16 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

A few days ago, when the "new strain" news was breaking, one of the researchers being interviewed made a comment like this: "It's a virus, mutating is what they do. We have recorded over 4000 mutations so far, and this is the first that has been any more contagious than the others."  The clip was immediately cut, and the talking heads resumed talking in an alarmed manner about the new variant.  I just wish that facts could be distributed as facts, and without so much drama.

+1

4 hours ago, wtnhighlander said:

A few days ago, when the "new strain" news was breaking, one of the researchers being interviewed made a comment like this: "It's a virus, mutating is what they do. We have recorded over 4000 mutations so far, and this is the first that has been any more contagious than the others."  The clip was immediately cut, and the talking heads resumed talking in an alarmed manner about the new variant.  I just wish that facts could be distributed as facts, and without so much drama.

Absolutely.

As I predicted the Astra Zenica vaccine has just (26 minutes ago at time of writing) been approved for use in the UK. They will start inoculating with this Jan 4.

• Like 2

That's good news about the Astra Zenica vaccine.  I've heard they have submitted applications to the US FDA, as well.

I can't say that the news media does a great job of reporting the news.  What I'd really like to be hearing right now is where are we in the order of administration of the vaccines.    According to one source a bit over 2 million doses have been administered in the US, but what percent of the first group (healthcare and long term care) does that represent?  How many of that group are left to be treated?   When is the next group likely to be up and how would one even know their turn was approaching or how to get in line?

To me these are obvious questions, and while answers may be lacking at this point, news reports I've seen haven't really acknowledged these as valid points of curiosity.

• Like 1