How is Covid19 affecting you?

TerryMcK

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

The only really important news is the news that they interrupt commercial breaks for.

I can't remember the last time I saw that happen. Maybe 9-11?

We had a suicide bomber event in Nashville on Christmas day. The size of the explosion was a significant percentage of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. But as it was Christmas day, AND the bomber was broadcasting warnings to evacuate from a loudspeaker in his van, there were just a handful of casualties. We didn't see it on any news outlet for THREE DAYS. I bet many of you haven't seen it at all.

By all accounts to date, the bomber was a random nutjob, not part of any terrorist group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark J said:

That's good news about the Astra Zenica vaccine.  I've heard they have submitted applications to the US FDA, as well.

I can't say that the news media does a great job of reporting the news.  What I'd really like to be hearing right now is where are we in the order of administration of the vaccines.    According to one source a bit over 2 million doses have been administered in the US, but what percent of the first group (healthcare and long term care) does that represent?  How many of that group are left to be treated?   When is the next group likely to be up and how would one even know their turn was approaching or how to get in line?

To me these are obvious questions, and while answers may be lacking at this point, news reports I've seen haven't really acknowledged these as valid points of curiosity.

The states I live near are covering this really well with their individual health departments. I think it's quite a daunting task to consolidate all that information so maybe that's why it's not been done? I don't think that work would be offset by being very interesting to a large portion of people. The only news stories I saw about the vaccine's was the different states trying to prove they are better than their neighbor, which is a little bit pathetic and sad.

58 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

I can't remember the last time I saw that happen. Maybe 9-11?

We had a suicide bomber event in Nashville on Christmas day. The size of the explosion was a significant percentage of the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing. But as it was Christmas day, AND the bomber was broadcasting warnings to evacuate from a loudspeaker in his van, there were just a handful of casualties. We didn't see it on any news outlet for THREE DAYS. I bet many of you haven't seen it at all.

By all accounts to date, the bomber was a random nutjob, not part of any terrorist group.

I did see that on some social media posts quite soon after it happened. I honestly can't remember the last big breaking story that they interrupted programing for.  There was something since 9/11 i just don't remember what it was.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

There was something since 9/11 i just don't remember what it was.

Bin Laden’s death and the Syria explosion both did that here. So did the Norte Dame fire. (I live in the shadow of her namesake.) I don’t watch live often enough to know about others. 

• Like 1

England will be going into its third lockdown. It joins Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland which already are in their total lockdowns.

Stay at home orders in place, only go out for exercise, provisions buying, medical treatment or if you can’t work from home. 

• Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

And please don’t turn this into a political thing but how many of you plan to get the vaccine? My wife and I are scheduled for our first puncture in two days as we think it’s the right thing to do. In all do respect to this forum, a simple yes or no and a short reasoning behind it. If this goes in the wrong direction, I apologize. It’s just meant as an opinion poll. 

• Like 2

I turned 64 in November, not an essential worker, and no underlying health issues - so they're saying I'll be eligible sometime late summer/early fall.  I'll get it when it's available.

LOML works part-time for a local hospital, so she received round one about three weeks ago, scheduled for round two on Monday.  She had a sore arm and slept most of the day after round one, but otherwise no ill effects.

• Like 1

We were able to get vaccinated last Thursday. To be honest, the after-effects for me were considerably worse than the symptoms of the virus itself, when I had it in November. For 2 days, I ached all over, and had a 101* fever. Wife and son just had a little arm soreness. I am attributing the extreme reaction to having donated blood just 4 days prior to the (unexpected) vaccination. I hope that is the case, as I really don't want to go through that again with the second dose.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

We were able to get vaccinated last Thursday. To be honest, the after-effects for me were considerably worse than the symptoms of the virus itself, when I had it in November. For 2 days, I ached all over, and had a 101* fever. Wife and son just had a little arm soreness. I am attributing the extreme reaction to having donated blood just 4 days prior to the (unexpected) vaccination. I hope that is the case, as I really don't want to go through that again with the second dose.

Which one did you get? Sounds like the reaction my wife’s coworker had to the Moderna vaccine during the trials. He did not react as much to the second part. 

• Like 1

My wife is eligible for the vaccine two days from now.  What's got us aggravated and disgusted is the total lack of any public information on who to contact, where to go or how to get in line.  In Illinois/suburban Chicago there isn't even any information about when and where that information is going to be available. 

It's like being told that your flight will start boarding shortly, but not exactly when, what gate, or even what airport and what airline.  

Illinois asked for volunteer healthcare workers back in the early days.  So I volunteered.  Filled out all the documents, provided all the "proofs" and checked all the boxes.  Then absolute and complete radio silence.  Finally got a notice from them last week inviting me to do vaccinations.  I said yes, but reiterated my concern for medical liability protection, a question I have been asking repeatedly since signing up.  So far nothing.  But maybe I'll have an opportunity to do something specific and helpful to the cause.