How is Covid19 affecting you?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Haven’t had a “date night” with my wife in a couple months since babysitters and other childcare options are out. Nothing says romance like being surrounded by power and hand tools, sawdust in the air

After a lot of hunting and clicking my wife and I were both able to get appointments and vaccinated.  And now I am finally set up (with vaccination and liability insurance) to be a volunteer vaccinato

Honestly, I find myself fighting off a bit of depression.  The Illinois Governor issued a Stay at Home order taking effect today.  It actually doesn't change things for me and my wife, we were already

Posted Images

DISCLAIMER I am no Mechanic but I am related to one :)

On my Miata's I always fill the tank (premium) and add stabilizer but they are stored for about 6 months a year. My brother (corporate jet mechanic) has always advised the higher octane helps and also that you want the tank full becuase condensation is what causes issues. My older Miata will go several weeks in the summer with zero issues but I try to get it out every 3 weeks or so. FYI you may want to drive it some just to keep the battery charged or put a trickle charger on it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

With gas prices as they are right now, I'm very tempted to invest in a big farm tank....

I hear you Friday when I picked up some lumber stopped and pd $1.77 a gallon and thought wow that was cheap 15 miles later it was $1.59

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pkinneb said:

I hear you Friday when I picked up some lumber stopped and pd $1.77 a gallon and thought wow that was cheap 15 miles later it was $1.59

I filled up my pickup at $1.59 and my chainsaw at $2.69. i think this is the biggest spread I've seen between regular and ethanol free premium.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Premium to regular is almost $1 by us depending where you go. Gas prices are all over the place too from station to station.

There was an Always Sunny in Philadelphia episode where they were going to buy gas, store it in the basement for a year and then resell it when prices went up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I filled up my pickup at $1.59 and my chainsaw at $2.69. i think this is the biggest spread I've seen between regular and ethanol free premium.

I find it interesting that the price seems to go up the less they mess with it LOL

Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s fine and good for the people that have it readily available to them. There isn’t a single station within 30 minutes of me that sells ethanol free gas. Probably not within 45 minutes either. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Chet said:

Dead man walking.:P

:lol: don’t get me wrong, corn in many forms is delicious, I just don’t want it in my gas tanks, too many problems especially in cold climates, we had a gas station close to us switch to all ethanol and after a month went back to selling the good stuff when business dropped off. Some of my best friends are farmers, most honest people in the world, I’m glad they have a market for their crops 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

This biggest effect this isolation is having on me, is that I'm losing weight.  Normally, when I had help working, we'd eat lunch out.  Now I go to the house to eat lunch.  My Wife is into fitness, and nutrition,  and I've been eating what she fixes.  Lately, it's been Trim, Healthy Mama (or something like that) recipes.  We've almost always eaten breakfast, and dinner at home anyway, so it's just the lunches making the difference.

I don't know about how much weight loss, because I haven't weighed myself in years.  The first couple of weeks, I needed to go down in jean size from 34's, to 33's.  Now I have to wear a belt with the 33's, or they slide down.

It's hard to say if I have more energy, because I have to work a lot harder, all day, regardless of what I'm doing, without help.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pkinneb said:

DISCLAIMER I am no Mechanic but I am related to one :)

On my Miata's I always fill the tank (premium) and add stabilizer but they are stored for about 6 months a year. My brother (corporate jet mechanic) has always advised the higher octane helps and also that you want the tank full becuase condensation is what causes issues. My older Miata will go several weeks in the summer with zero issues but I try to get it out every 3 weeks or so. FYI you may want to drive it some just to keep the battery charged or put a trickle charger on it.

Having also been a jet mechanic (and many other types of aircraft) I’ll say the condensation thing is absolutely correct. Be careful about higher octane... if you put 100LL in your car be careful. “LL” stands for low lead but compared to car fuel it’s not at all. It’ll foul plugs and can cause valve train problems. That stuff is made for massive electrode spark plugs (two per cylinder), low compression, air-cooled, slow turning aircraft engines. It’ll work, but mix it with a lot of premium car gas :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve taken auto furlough from my 3 day a week, 3 week a month position. My wife and I have become accustomed to sleeping till almost 8:00 am. and it’s going to be hard to going back to getting up at 5:15. This may be my link to complete retirement. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chip Sawdust said:

Having also been a jet mechanic (and many other types of aircraft) I’ll say the condensation thing is absolutely correct. Be careful about higher octane... if you put 100LL in your car be careful. “LL” stands for low lead but compared to car fuel it’s not at all. It’ll foul plugs and can cause valve train problems. That stuff is made for massive electrode spark plugs (two per cylinder), low compression, air-cooled, slow turning aircraft engines. It’ll work, but mix it with a lot of premium car gas :) 

To clarify I just meant 93 octane premium vs the 87 of regular unleaded gas. My 03 is turbocharged and requires 91 minimum but both cars recommend premium. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Terry, we are an oil exporting country now instead of an oil importer, makes it cheaper when you refine your own.  We can buy 48 1/2 liters of water for less than $4. cost wise we seem to be doing better than other countries.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How much does Netflix cost in the US? I am paying £11.99 including taxes ($14.99 US) for 4 screens at 4K UHD

My broadband and landline telephone is £28 a month (including line rental which is the norm in the UK) which is $35 US. I get 100Mbit bandwidth unlimited download for that. Is that similar to US?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.