Any ideas?

Hello so I’m hoping someone can help me with this. So I had a few small spots on my table I needed to spot sand and I started with 220 and finished with 400 and I got it stained and looks pretty close. The problem is when I look at it from the side it sticks out, any ideas on how to blend it so it’s not as noticeable?

018716FA-4EE4-4AF2-B9F5-FAE5AD7BB88F.jpeg

Before sanding and refinishing the entire top I’d apply a bit of finish to the repaired areas. It’ll still be noticeable, but far less so that its current state. It might be “geed enough.” You’d have to redo those areas anyway if you are going to refinish the entire top.

Of course, refinishing the entire top would give the best results. Just be careful when sanding. Commercial veneer is *very* easy to sand through.

My wife spilled nail polish remover on one of my store bought end tables. I've looked at and tried a few things. The top clear is tinted an  will result in my taking all the three, two end tables and a coffee table and sanding it completely (tops) and getting the finish as  close as I can. 

Other option is to take it to an antiques restorer and let them work there magic....

Be sure to 'feather out' the edges of the sanded area. Most folks don't go out far enough, and leave a clearly delineated transition line. I would sand the transition area to 800 or 1000 grit.

Once you apply the top coat, the freshly stained areas will be altered in appearance, and very likely not stand out so much. But as others have said, the only sure way is to refinish the entire top.

• Like 1