Sign in to follow this  
Robby W

Over The Saw Light

That oughta do it (Butch Cassidy).  I had a similar problem and hung a shop-lite from a sort of guy wire.

• Like 1

It can rotate a bit. The EMT connectors at the electrical box and the two hole straps that hold it up will allow for a little movement, but with the wire I used, I won't be doing it a lot. 

Another solution would be to mount the fixture on the door & feed it with a curly cord. You can get them from any commercial door installer & they are rated to carry the voltage & current needed by a decent sized LED fixture.

On 4/6/2020 at 4:17 PM, Robby W said:

Viola!

I like it.  Are there any problems?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mark J said:

I like it.  Are there any problems?

I had to get used to not wacking it when moving wood around, but that is the only issue so far.

2 hours ago, BillyJack said:

How much between the door and the front of the saw when closed?

From the door to the back of the saw is about six inches. From the door to the front of the saw is about 3 feet. The lights behind me cause a shadow from my body, but this light solves that.

Your way back. My saw sits 9' from the door to cut sheet goods. The light is just beyond the door when fully opened. I keep the door closed to acclimate unless I'm cutting longer lumber...

Billy Jack - I live in North San Diego country. There are only about 50-60 days a year when I can't open the door to cut sheet goods or long boards. I have an outfeed table that folds up to close the door, and can be set up when needed. It is long enough to support ripping a full an 8 foot long sheet of plywood without it tipping off the table. One of the better shop improvements I made.

It sure what you mean about cutting backwards, bit I do feed towards the door. For longer rips, I just open the door. In fact most of the time, I have the door open. Since my shop doesn't have windows, the big door is my "window".