What’s Your Favorite Dovetail Saw

Hammer5573

I’m looking to purchase a new dovetail saw soon and was looking for some input regarding the brand that people prefer. My son gave me a Rob Cosman crosscut saw for Christmas and I have to say that it is an awesome handsaw; however, it’s pricey. I do like the fit of the handgrip on the Cosman saw. I have a Veritas dovetail saw but I’m just not sold on the design. 
Any input would be appreciated.

I've never had one of the boutique saws in my hand.  My dovetail saw is an old Stanley that I'll put up against any, in my hands. The important part is in the sharpening, which I do myself.  I see that LN is getting 40 bucks for sharpening one.  Maybe I should go in the saw sharpening business, when I retire.

The LN dovetail saws look pretty hard to beat, for the price though.  If I was needing to buy a new one, that's probably where I would start.

I have the Veritas and it’s the fine tooth version. It’s ok, but nothing to write home about.

I use my LN carcasse saw for larger dovetails and it works fine for that. I don’t have a boutique saw for dovetails; my skill level doesn’t match some of the tools I already have! 

I’ve even used a hacksaw and that works well too :) 

Yeah, one or two. No matter how I try to avoid it, I can never really get the wood exactly the way I want it with machines alone.  I can't think of one project, that I would consider "furniture" that doesn't wind up with  a hand plane of some sort being part of the construction.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, G S Haydon said:

The Lie-Nielsen has become an excellent value saw. If it fits your budget, I fail to see how you'll go wrong.

If you're on a tight budget a gents saw is very effective.

To add to that - I've never bought a LN tool I didn't immediately fall in love with. The price can be a shocker but you never regret it once it's in your hands against wood.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hammer5573 said:

I have the Veritas but it’s too light; I like a heavier saw. I’m thinking that it’s either the Gramercy or the Cosman 

The Gramercy is the lightest saw of them all. It is the complete opposite of the Rob Cosman saw. The RC saw looks nice, but it is designed for a beginner. Dovetail sawing requires a light touch for control. The heavy weight of the RC saw is like taking a sledge hammer to swap a fly.

Review of the Gramercy:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/GramercyDovetailSaw.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Hammer5573

You're in danger of getting to much advice. Fine Woodworking have done reviews on dovetail saws and the Cosman range of saws and said they are great.

If you can get to a show, tool meet or club to try some out, that would be helpful.

Any of the saws you are thinking about using will have good resale value if you don't like them

Yes....as much as I appreciate Derek’s advice, I prefer a heavier saw in my hand. As I mentioned in my initial post, I have a Cosman crosscut saw and do like it. I guess it’s just user preference. I do appreciate all of the great information that all of you experts have given me.