Hard Wax Oil Finishes

Mark J

On 4/24/2020 at 10:00 AM, Mick S said:

With Osmo you just clean the surface and reapply a new coat or coats. Blends right in. Unlike lacquer, poly doesn't melt into the underlying layer and blend in, but just sits on top, so getting it to match the surrounding area is trickier. Any irregularity has to be removed before reapplying

I have been itching to try Osmo, but they have a very large product line, and I don't really know where to start. It's pretty expensive if you buy the wrong product. Is 3043 suitable for furniture?

9 hours ago, rodger. said:

I have been itching to try Osmo, but they have a very large product line, and I don't really know where to start. It's pretty expensive if you buy the wrong product. Is 3043 suitable for furniture?

Yes, that's what I would recommend trying first. It's my go-to finish.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Martin-IT said:

Rubio is a 2 parts product. Is Osmo the same ?

I saw videos with rubio, they use a plastic scraper to spread it, then they buff it.

Much different with Osmo ? 

Rubio is a single coat product. with Osmo, how many coat do you apply ?

Osmo is one part.

I use a plastic spreader then buff it. Uses less finish this way.

I use two coats. 

Monocoat is a misleading name, as Rubio recommend two coats for certain woods.

So it doesn't sound like there is much difference between the two products?

How vigorously does one have to buff?  From videos I've seen, including Marc's it looks like the buffing needs to be aggressive, i.e. by machine driven buffer.   My pieces are small (hand held) and the finishing pretty much needs to be by hand, i.e. rag.

I hadn't seen this thread before, but it just so happens I finished my desk in Rubio. I honestly think it does not compare to ARS. It's VERY flat. Like almost no shine at all. I'm torn on the feel of it. I like the way it feels but I also love that glass smooth ARS feel. I had two primary reasons for using it, I knew I'd often bang the desk up and wanted to repair it easily - and one coat with 7 days cure time. 

I really think there is a learning curve to applying the finish to get maximum value. I used far too much on the top of my desk. 

I'm really interested in Osmo, but I won't try it until I've used up the Rubio. And honestly, I got a gallon of ARS I need to use too before I buy another. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cliff said:

I hadn't seen this thread before, but it just so happens I finished my desk in Rubio. I honestly think it does not compare to ARS. It's VERY flat. Like almost no shine at all. I'm torn on the feel of it. I like the way it feels but I also love that glass smooth ARS feel. I had two primary reasons for using it, I knew I'd often bang the desk up and wanted to repair it easily - and one coat with 7 days cure time. 

I really think there is a learning curve to applying the finish to get maximum value. I used far too much on the top of my desk. 

I'm really interested in Osmo, but I won't try it until I've used up the Rubio. And honestly, I got a gallon of ARS I need to use too before I buy another. 

I have tried countless finishes over the years, and I have weened it t down to my "go to" finishes that yield the results I want (HVLP High performance Poly for water based and hand applied Wipe-on poly for oil based). I always wax my projects as well, with a beeswax blend I quite like.

I would like to add two new finishes to round out my projects. I am going to try spraying "Kem Aqua" from Sherwin Williams for the painted look I am starting to use more often, and the OSMO for quick and easy small projects. I shall see if either of them make it into my normal repertoire.

On 5/21/2020 at 6:11 AM, Mark J said:

So it doesn't sound like there is much difference between the two products?

How vigorously does one have to buff?  From videos I've seen, including Marc's it looks like the buffing needs to be aggressive, i.e. by machine driven buffer.   My pieces are small (hand held) and the finishing pretty much needs to be by hand, i.e. rag.

Depends... 

You can buff it to a higher sheen once the wax has hardened. I usually don't bother.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just started leafing through my latest copy of FWW and there is an ad for a Briwax hard wax oil product.  I don't know if this is a recently released product or one I've just recently noticed, but it's interesting to have a choice from a more familiar name (might be more likely to get on local store shelves).  The ad says the product is water-based and that they have solvent based versions as well.  

• Like 1