Hard Wax Oil Finishes

Mark J

That angle really brings out the difference, from other views it's not so dramatic, so I didn't want to oversell it.  But that said I was impressed enough to use it on this walnut piece I'm just finishing.  Oddly the reason I tested it was to see if there was much difference in ambering between the two with walnut, I wasn't expecting this result.  

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

How does it compare to tried and true varnish oil? I've been using that for small projects that don't require a durable finish and it's great. I have a salt well that gets handled daily and it's been a great finish so far.

I know the complaints against Osmo are probably old but it'd be nice if they had trial sizes that were affordable. I can't shell out $50 to try a product especially when their product line is huge and confusing. Their "trial" size of 4.22 oz is $20 on woodcrafts site which is better but also absurd. So i do find it surprising that woodcraft is carrying it.

2 hours ago, Chestnut said:

Their "trial" size of 4.22 oz is $20 on woodcrafts site which is better but also absurd. So i do find it surprising that woodcraft is carrying it.

I had a student last semester who had the same hesitation about the price, never having used it before, and wondering if the trial size would be enough for the ash coffee table she was making. I convinced her to try by telling her I'd buy it from her if she didn't like it. She put two coats on her coffee table and had ⅔ of the trial size 4.22 oz can left. Everyone, and I mean everyone asked her what she used on it. 

• Like 1

A little goes a long way, I think it has a "softer" feel to it after just 2 coats than you get with 3 coats of varnish/oil and 3 coats oil/wax. 

Agree, the product line is confusing, looks like Woodcraft trimmed it down to what is good for woodworkers. I'm using the Polyx Oil with high solids, no coloring. Also use the Top Oil, which is food safe and great for cutting boards and spurtles. 

I think every manufacturer's finish product lines are confusing (and deliberately so), until you figure out what works and what to just ignore.

I keep Osmo simple.  I only use the PolyX-Oil (satin).  

But it sounds like you use Top Oil as a finish on it's own.  I thought that Top Oil was meant to go on top of PolyX-Oil?  Oh, now I've gone and made it complicated.

Has anyone heard about Pallman Magic Oil? There is a really good flooring supply company here and they appear to really like the product. Apparently it's similar to rubio but it cures to light handling in 4 hours and achieves a full cure in 12 hours....

https://www.peteshardwoodfloors.com/pallman-the-best-hardened-oil-finish-ever.html

2 hours ago, Mark J said:

I think every manufacturer's finish product lines are confusing (and deliberately so), until you figure out what works and what to just ignore.

I keep Osmo simple.  I only use the PolyX-Oil (satin).  

But it sounds like you use Top Oil as a finish on it's own.  I thought that Top Oil was meant to go on top of PolyX-Oil?  Oh, now I've gone and made it complicated.

I've been using Top Oil both ways, I'll put it on top of PolX-Oil for a table top, not sure if necessary though. I'll also use Top Oil for kitchen items (cutting boards, bowls etc). But again you could probably get away with just PolyX. Top Oil claims are that it is food safe, I'm not sure if PolyX is food safe. 

I agree Mark, this product line (and many others) is so confusing. Just the name PolyX is confusing in that it sounds like it has polyurethane as a component. Then they have what seem to be different PolyX lines or types (high solid, low solids, coloring, satin, clear, gloss, intensive finish, original, new improved, floor wax, furniture wax, 3031, 3043, raw, pure, wood wax.....

10 minutes ago, Bmac said:

I thought that Top Oil was meant to go on top of PolyX-Oil? 

I thought the same thing at first. The name comes from it being counterTOP oil. I use 3043 Satin almost exclusively now. 

12 minutes ago, Bmac said:

Top Oil claims are that it is food safe, I'm not sure if PolyX is food safe. 

PolyX is food safe after it cures. Just takes a little longer than Top Oil.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2020 at 12:02 PM, Mick S said:

I have no experience with Rubio specifically, but have used Osmo and Livos Kunos extensively over the past 3 or 4 years. I love it. It's now my favorite go-to finish (Osmo Polyx). It seems expensive at first glance, but a tiny bit goes a long way. I used Osmo on our kitchen cabinet remodel, Morris chair, Roorkee chair and on my desk over Arm-R-Seal which was dulling on the western sun exposure. Osmo brought it back and is wearing much better. It's resistant to red wine stains, unlike the ARS. I'm using it on the coffee table I'm making now.

IMG_1369.thumb.jpeg.2ae1f166b6d95274ff09691d210f67df.jpeg

How do you compare LIVOS vs OSMO? I used LIVOS for almost 10 years now, but I'm curious about how LIVOS compares to OSMO.