Vacuum press far-out chair - ideas

Trigger alert for not classical woodworking post. This is a modern chair build with curves and built to look like coral. The coral chair. No dovetails here, just wiggle wood or fiberglass to shape like a curved chair. This question is for vacuum press folks.

Would you make the male mold then cut out the hole with a router / hand saw once it is built? Or would you make a form that somehow has "warts" or whatever that would be the holes around which you would wrap the veneer or fiberglass?

This is a collaboration with a non-profit arts center. This is not my design or wheelhouse, but I think this is a cool concept.

coral_chair.jpeg

The problem I see, if I understand correctly, is that you are trying to make some pretty deep compound curves out of flat wood. I've seen vary shallow curves make out of very thin layers of veneer, but I don't see how that will work on something of this scale. There is just too much stretching & compressing that needs to be done to change something from flat to round.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to how this is solved.