Mark Beagan

Grateful for advice - oak doors

Recommended Posts

I’d be v grateful for some expert advice! 
Finally getting around to finishing some engineered oak doors with some danish oil. Brought unfinished - I think - and lightly sanded off some marks - mainly finger grime - before using the danish oil. The sanded areas, however, are discoloured compared to the rest of the door. Used a clear danish, thinking that was best. Oh Lordy. 10 more doors and I’ve already hit a problem on the first. Tried a couple of coats but issue persists. Should the whole door be sanded, I’d that the problem? 
 

Thank you, enormously, in advance. 

1511C087-E83D-4150-8D3B-68351A2666F4.jpeg

8B88E9BE-E996-481C-93EE-69AEB32FE751.jpeg

17CF950A-D8E2-420F-A713-9DD9896D171E.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

On the last picture the hung door looks upside-down.

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, curlyoak said:

On the last picture the hung door looks upside-down.

I also had thought that on first glance but if you were to take the top panel out and replace it with an arts & craft style leaded pane then to me the door is in the right orientation.   I think the fact that it is a wood panel instead of glass kind of throws the thinking off.  Arts & Crafts entry doors have a similar style to it as the one above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chet said:

I also had thought that on first glance but if you were to take the top panel out and replace it with an arts & craft style leaded pane then to me the door is in the right orientation.   I think the fact that it is a wood panel instead of glass kind of throws the thinking off.  Arts & Crafts entry doors have a similar style to it as the one above.

It’s the handle in the top third rather than the bottom third that draws the eye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

It’s the handle in the top third rather than the bottom third that draws the eye. 

I can agree with that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mark Beagan said:

It’s a ‘Cambridge style’ 1930s remark. 

Remake even. That’s the style 

Does that mean grandfathered to not need to meet ADA code?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Tpt life said:

Does that mean grandfathered to not need to meet ADA code?

ADA does not apply to private residences. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The door style should be in a house of adults due the placement of the handle. The little kids can't reach it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have some solid oak doors in that style being made in our shop at the moment.

I like the design and they are hung correctly!

As mentioned before, ssnding could be required but with extreme caution. Also, your abrasive is going to clog like crazy.

I would also look to use OSMO Poly X oil.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.