mitered edge banding

Greetings to all woodworkers. I'm attempting to edge band veneered plywood with 1/2" thick mitered strips that surround an end table top.  Seems the proper way is to leave both edges slightly proud so they can be flushed after glue up. Flushing the overhanging edges is my dilemma  compounding the feat with miters. Any and all suggestions would be more than appreciated. Please stay safe and find some joy in these trying times.Thanks  Richard 

I’ve done it with a 1/4” flush trim bit in the router, finish the corners with sandpaper and a block of wood to prevent tear out, block plane would work if you’re careful and finish with sandpaper, I’m sure others will chime in who have done this more that I have, good luck and welcome

I would use a block plane to get really close and then smooth with sand paper.  If you skew the balde in the plane so that the edge that is over the veneer cannot cut, you can reduce the risk of snagging the veneer.  Take very thin shavings as you get closer to flush.

• Like 1