TerryMcK

What came in the mail today?

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, pkinneb said:

Buy 1 Starrett and keep it in your pocket. I get they are expensive but I bought two (4" & 6") 20 years ago and they are just as accurate and nice today as the day I bought them. The 4" is my go to always in my right front apron pocket. If I could only have two measuring/layout tools it would be the 4" Starrett and my 6" Woodpeckers Stainless Paolini rule.

 

So here is what is interesting about Starrett. I have a 4" adjustable that has NEVER locked down. I find it incredibly annoying. I got a 6" double square from them that works pretty well - about a month old, and a 12" adjustable that i bought used on ebay when I first started in 2015. So 2 out of 3 work pretty well. That's good odds for a lower priced square, but for the price I paid, it needs to be 3/3. 

On the Woodpecker from I got the 3 Paolini ones I use often, the 12", 26", a carpenters square/triangle thing, several T squares. Very happy with them. Honestly at this point, if Woodpeckers makes a square, I'll probably buy it at some point.

I also got some of the PEC double squares, 4" - they don't lock down either. That's why I bought this iGaging ones.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I have a 4" adjustable that has NEVER locked down.

And why would you live with that? I'm sure it would be replaced on warranty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, drzaius said:

And why would you live with that? I'm sure it would be replaced on warranty.

Because I live in a different world than most. I put it to the side and didn't use it. It was less work for me to ignore it and eat the cost than to call someone and deal with it. It's been 4 years now so I don't know if anything can be done at this point. 

My hierarchy of needs:

1. Don't have to communicate or talk to people on the phone or in person
2. A man loves steak.
3. Everything else

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Cliff said:

I also got some of the PEC double squares

I have a number of these and have always been happy, especially for the price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Chet said:

I have a number of these and have always been happy, especially for the price.

I have a 4” and 6” double squares from Harry and a 12” should be here today, and just ordered a 4 and 6 for my son, great quality 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been debating on buying the PEC 4", 6" and/or 12" from Harry but trying to hold off until I really need them. I don't want to buy another cheap one that stops locking down in a few years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cliff said:

Because I live in a different world than most. I put it to the side and didn't use it. It was less work for me to ignore it and eat the cost than to call someone and deal with it. It's been 4 years now so I don't know if anything can be done at this point. 

My hierarchy of needs:

1. Don't have to communicate or talk to people on the phone or in person
2. A man loves steak.
3. Everything else

I can understand that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, legenddc said:

Been debating on buying the PEC 4", 6" and/or 12" from Harry but trying to hold off until I really need them. I don't want to buy another cheap one that stops locking down in a few years.

PEC don’t qualify as cheap. They qualify as factory seconds. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tpt life said:

PEC don’t qualify as cheap. They qualify as factory seconds. 

Sorry, I meant a Craftsman/Lowes/Home Depot type one that is questionably square and stops locking as cheap, not PEC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oddly, one of the best combo squares I own is an older Craftsman 12". Inherted from my FIL, who was a tool & die maker. Quality is on par with the 18" and 6" Starrets I have, also from his collection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 11:02 AM, pkinneb said:

If I could only have two measuring/layout tools it would be the 4" Starrett and my 6" Woodpeckers Stainless Paolini rule.

My Paolini is in my right outer pocket, my 4" Starrett is in my middle pocket.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, wtnhighlander said:

Nice! Does it get a parking bay of its own?

With the size of the wings I'll call it a hanger.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Cliff said:

Couple of LV packages came in mail today-

My first Dovetail saw.

A much better flush cut saw than my crappy Dewalt one.

And, to add to the 3/8, 1/2 and 3/4 chisels I bought a month ago, finishing out the upgrade from my old Narex set. These are the PM-V11s.

 

Nice haul!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Who's Online   2 Members, 0 Anonymous, 109 Guests (See full list)

  • Forum Statistics

    28950
    Total Topics
    391420
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    21862
    Total Members
    1529
    Most Online
    Carla R Coats
    Newest Member
    Carla R Coats
    Joined