What came in the mail today?

On 9/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, drzaius said:

In the 30 years in our house I doubt the power has been off more than a couple of times. None of which was for more than a couple of hours. Now that I've said that, it'll probably go off tonight :unsure:

I was thinking the same thing. We somehow lost power for 2.5 hours this week while I was traveling. Wasn't able to find out why as the power company was blocking me from accessing since I was in a different country. For the limited times we've lost power I'm okay not having a generator. We have enough family far enough away that we don't all lose power but they're close enough to get there if there was an outage.

Keeping a spare carb on hand seems very smart. Wouldn't want to have to try and order one in an emergency.

5 hours ago, Mark J said:

How much of your house are you able to power with that generator?

I installed a 200amp transfer switch when we bought this property.   Our old generator was a 7k model and would power just the basic stuff. No heat, no hot water.  But it did keep the lights on and the well pump pumping.  Unfortunately out house is all electric and bringing in propane is cost prohibitive.  So I am hoping that the new gen will be able to run the heat pump.  

There is only one local gas station that sells non-ethanol and it is over $10.00 a gal.  So I use a fuel stabilizer for all of my out door equipment.  I had to rebuild the carb on the generator once in ten years, so I usually just rebuild rather than replace. 

I always use the fuel cut off valve to power down.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 10:36 AM, drzaius said:

In the 30 years in our house I doubt the power has been off more than a couple of times. None of which was for more than a couple of hours. Now that I've said that, it'll probably go off tonight :unsure:

Dang. We lose it a couple times a year, surprisingly not as often as I’d think though.   Been here 13yrs, I think a few yrs ago we lost it for almost a full day, otherwise usually 2-6hrs.  
i have a 6kw propane generator, but that thing has been more trouble than it’s worth most times.   Next door Neighbor put in some big ass John Deere diesel generator, that thing can power our whole road if it wanted.   
we lost power during the holidays like 2 yrs ago, walked outside at 1am, their house was still lit up like a Christmas tree, including all the Christmas trees in the yard :lol:

Ours was out for a week after Hurricane Fran in 1994, and a few days each for Hurricanes Floyd, and Isabel.  I forget all the years.  Other than hurricanes, it's never out for long.

Nights after a hurricane comes through are pretty amazing with lights out all around.  The nights are so dark and still, and the sky so clear that you can see the Milky Way reflecting on the lake.

In 3 decades, I've used a generator maybe 3 or 4 times. A couple were winter storms, a couple more were tornados. Given municipal water and propane heat, everything else runs fine from a 4kw portable. I only avoid using the microwave and the cooktop together. Electric water heaters are fine.