Double sided tape

I bought 2 rolls of double sided carpet tape I'm guessing 6/7 yrs. ago and finally used them up it was great stuff. I bought some plastic laminate for a router table build it was the same flooring ect. store I got the 2 rolls I just ran out of, I asked if I could get a couple rolls again they said they didn't carry the old brand he brought out this 4" roll of double sided tape that they use now I bought it. I went home and started building a template for my router plate, I taped some rips to the plywood I was using for the template BB for the template and the rips routed out the recess in the template and holy crap I had a hell of a time separating the template from the rips there was de-lamination from both the template and the rips it was a failure. This new tape is just to sticky the old tape that I was happy with was discontinued. I found this stuff on the web and was wondering if anyone has used it or have another brand that's not as bad ass as this new roll I've got now. Thanks for any input you may give.

I bought some double sided tape in the turners dept. at Rockler as the carpet tape I bought was too thick. However, it’s darn/damn hard to remove the backing strip. I found that putting it in the freezer for a few minutes prior to use, alleviated this problem. To further alleviate this problem, I will try Mick’s suggestion. 

59 minutes ago, Coop said:

I bought some double sided tape in the turners dept. at Rockler as the carpet tape I bought was too thick. However, it’s darn/damn hard to remove the backing strip. I found that putting it in the freezer for a few minutes prior to use, alleviated this problem. To further alleviate this problem, I will try Mick’s suggestion. 

My trick, from many years of using it on CNCs is to place the point of a knife aiming from the center of the piece of tape to a corner, just inside the corner. Prick through the film pushing the knife toward the corner and lift. Again, the knife is pointing from the inside to outside right near the corner. The film will stretch and lift right off. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mick S said:

My trick, from many years of using it on CNCs is to place the point of a knife aiming from the center of the piece of tape to a corner, just inside the corner. Prick through the film pushing the knife toward the corner and lift. Again, the knife is pointing from the inside to outside right near the corner. The film will stretch and lift right off. 

I'll have to try that Mick I always have a heck off a time getting the film off.

7 hours ago, Chestnut said:

I don't use double sided tape. I just use painters tape on both surfaces and CA glue to hold it together.

https://thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/stop-buying-double-sided-tape/

I've not been able to see the advantage to this over using double stick tape. Seems like more messing around. What am I missing?

4 hours ago, drzaius said:

I've not been able to see the advantage to this over using double stick tape. Seems like more messing around. What am I missing?

I use the glue&tape method when I need more precision than double-stick tape will afford. My carpet tape is way thicker than two pieces of painter's tape and glue. It has a certain micro amount of sponginess/movement to it under the load of a router bit cutting edge or whatever. Tape with CA glue moves less.

• Like 2

I've been using indoor carpet tape that Home Depot carries. It's very thin, probably thinner than 1 layer of painter's tape & has less creep than painter's tape. It is much stickier, but it's never pulled a layer of wood away with it & I use the amount that I know will allow me to separate the parts. 

There is another outdoor carpet tape they have that is quite a bit thicker, is a lot creepier, and tends to leave residue. It does not work that well.

But I will give the CA/tape thing a try. I can see it working better if both pieces are not perfectly flat. And it is probably cheaper.

9 hours ago, drzaius said:

And it is probably cheaper.

I don't know about that. Have you seen how much those guys want for painter's tape these days? I need to get a box from my friend that works at 3M they sell it for $0.50 a roll to employees.

5 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

I don't know about that. Have you seen how much those guys want for painter's tape these days? I need to get a box from my friend that works at 3M they sell it for $0.50 a roll to employees.

The cheap painter's tape is around $5/roll of 60 yards. The carpet tape is $5/roll of 13 M. So the carpet tape is going to be about twice the price by the time the CA glue is figured in. Not really a concern unless a project is going to use a ton of tape.

The carpet tape I use is 3M indoor.

23 minutes ago, drzaius said:

The cheap painter's tape is around $5/roll of 60 yards. The carpet tape is $5/roll of 13 M. So the carpet tape is going to be about twice the price by the time the CA glue is figured in. Not really a concern unless a project is going to use a ton of tape.

The carpet tape I use is 3M indoor.

After mentioning the high cost of a particular router bit during one of my first woodworking classes, the instructor told me "If you are in this craft to save money, I think you are in the wrong hobby" :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rodger. said:

After mentioning the high cost of a particular router bit during one of my first woodworking classes, the instructor told me "If you are in this craft to save money, I think you are in the wrong hobby" :)

That can be said for most hobbies. While I usually agree with the general idea, as well as “buy once, cry once,” they really only apply in ideal situations. 

1 hour ago, rodger. said:

I find that awfully misleading. Comparing the quality and character of furniture made in our shops to a retail example it's very easy to save a lot of money. It doesn't make sense when comparing to Ikea garbage but then it's not really an apples to apples comparison. In pricing my work I've found that I've paid for my tools bits blades everything twice over. That's comparing handmade solid wood furniture to similar hand made solid wood furniture. This is of course if i work for free. I always work for free with the person billing my time is myself.

• 2 years later...