New Bridge City Miter Gauge

Mick S

It does seem to be well thought out. But what woodworker requires such precision? And what woodworker in his right mind would pay over $300 dollars for something that precise, knowing that after you make your cuts and construct your project, the wood is still going to move, precision aside?   Oops, I forgot there are some that will purchase it for one reason.  Bragging rights.  Doesn't seem like common sense to me. But then, I'm just a club footed, ham handed redneck furniture maker.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RichardA said:

But what woodworker requires such precision? And what woodworker in his right mind would pay over $300 dollars for something that precise, knowing that after you make your cuts and construct your project, the wood is still going to move, precision aside?   

Or $400.. https://www.amazon.com/Incra-MITER5000-Miter-Table-Telescoping/dp/B0002ZO7A2

Marc uses one.

• Like 1

Looks really nice! A bit spendy but I honestly thought it was going to be more. 

It’s better to have tools that are capable of higher accuracy than needed than the other way around. User experience is also important. If it was USA made I’d be really tempted to buy it if I didn’t already have the Incra 1000hd.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JohnG said:

If it was USA made I’d be really tempted to buy it if I didn’t already have the Incra 1000hd.

BCTW is all made in china now as the company that bought them (harvey) is located there. If your concern is about quality i would banish that concern the Harvey owner is just as picky as the BCTW creator. There have been multiple blog posts by John about this and a good article here that covers some details. https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/a-new-chapter-for-bridge-city/

If it's about supporting a local company well then i have no response other than there is woodpeckers.... lol.

3 minutes ago, Chestnut said:

BCTW is all made in china now as the company that bought them (harvey) is located there. If your concern is about quality i would banish that concern the Harvey owner is just as picky as the BCTW creator. There have been multiple blog posts by John about this and a good article here that covers some details. https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/a-new-chapter-for-bridge-city/

If it's about supporting a local company well then i have no response other than there is woodpeckers.... lol.

Oh I know they are still very nice quality!
I just meant that USA made is one way I justify spending more. That was why I first bought the 1000HD over some of the similar cheaper ones.

I get by with a piece of plywood screwed to a shop-cut wood runner to serve as my 'miter gauge'. Even if funding such an accessory had no significant impact on my bank account, my frugal upbringing would make me sweat bullets if I tried to justify a purchase like that.  If it fits your budget, though, more power to you. It is a pretty sharp-looking device.

7 hours ago, Mick S said:

I have this sled also.  The main reason I bought it was I was feeling lazy at the time and didn't want to build it.  What had me go with the Incra 5000 was it provided me high accuracy both as a cross cut sled and miter sled.  But mostly I was being lazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I bought the JDS Accumiter miter gauge years ago. Cost me over $200 back then and it changed my woodworking. Between it and my Biesemeyer fence, the accuracy of my tablesaw work went way up. I rarely have to measure my cuts anymore. Based on this, I would say the Bridge City gauge just might be worth it.

By the way, Jessem now makes the Accumiter gauge under the name Mite-R-Gauge. Looks like they made some improvements too. I definitely recommend it.

5 hours ago, Tpt life said:

Steve (hope he is ok) got me on the Osborne. I like the triangle design. 

Me too. I liked that guy and his bs (outside of Woodworking, which IMO, he excels at)

The miter gauge looks to be a step above my Incra with the bells and whistles but am happy with the Incra. However, I would seriously consider the Harvey ts if and when I upgrade. 

17 hours ago, Chet said:

I have this sled also.  The main reason I bought it was I was feeling lazy at the time and didn't want to build it.  What had me go with the Incra 5000 was it provided me high accuracy both as a cross cut sled and miter sled.  But mostly I was being lazy.

I have one too.  I needed to make some cupola tops, and didn't want to fiddle with makeshift fine adjustments.  It worked precisely, the first time.   Even my test pieces were perfect.

1 hour ago, Mick S said:

Not Cliff, but I feel qualified to answer nonetheless. Yes, it's adjustable. 

I don't think I'll ever have a slider as a main tablesaw. I believe it comes down to intended use, and for me the Incra 5000 addresses many of the shortcoming of a cabinet saw. I rarely do large panel work and my track saw covers that. I sometimes need to straighten an edge on a live edge board. My track saw does that. The rest I can do with a highly accurate (sorry Rick, I think precision woodworking is worth it) crosscut fixture. I could retire at least 3 of my sleds with it.

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Cliff, I couldn’t tell from the pics on their site. Is the runner adjustable to fit the slot on any ts ? 

Good thing he answered that cause I completely forgot.

I had to get on a real computer to see the website well, so this is my first look at the miter gauge.  It's super well done and I might even say sexy.  But I might have to give the nod to the Incra 1000HD.  I want to be able to cut any angle accurately, and the Incra has detents for every degree, plus a vernier scale for fine adjustment.  The BC is very accurate once you set the angle, but it seems that what you have to work with to set that angle is a simple pointer and scale.  There are detents for the common angles, but those aren't the only ones I may want to cut.  The last angle I cut on the table saw was 20 degrees and given the sizes of the detents  that might be difficult to set.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 9:00 AM, RichardA said:

It does seem to be well thought out. But what woodworker requires such precision?

My issue with it is...

It's super fancy and all that, but at the end of the day, it's STILL a miter gauge -never my tool of choice when I need to be super accurate.

Looks cool though. All their stuff does.

34 minutes ago, D W C said:

My issue with it is...

It's super fancy and all that, but at the end of the day, it's STILL a miter gauge -never my tool of choice when I need to be super accurate.

Looks cool though. All their stuff does.

Why not (honest question)? I use my Incra 1000 for precision stuff & it is dead spot on. I'm sure the Bridge City is at least as good.

21 minutes ago, drzaius said:

Why not (honest question)? I use my Incra 1000 for precision stuff & it is dead spot on. I'm sure the Bridge City is at least as good.

Oh it may very well be.

I guess my post came off like they're inferior tools, which really wasn't my intention, I'm just more comfortable with a sled when I need to be really dialed in.

If you love your miter gauge and it works for you, ROCK ON!

10 minutes ago, D W C said:

Oh it may very well be.

I guess my post came off like they're inferior tools, which really wasn't my intention, I'm just more comfortable with a sled when I need to be really dialed in.

If you love your miter gauge and it works for you, ROCK ON!

So, you make a new sled for every angle of cut you need?