critical glue finishing dilemma

Norton

Hi Woodworkers,

I'm at a finishing stage of my project but have to finish it in parts. One part has to be completely finished with stain and lacquer because if glued in place before finishing I will not be able to get to parts nearby to stain and spray lacquer. So If I finish this piece first without  installing it and go ahead and finish the nearby parts, there will be stain and lacquer on the area that  requires glue to install the pre finished part. My question is will glue still bond to a stained and lacquered surface? Maybe I will need to scuff sand the areas where to glue joint will be without messing up the looks of the joint.Or maybe I should do a test piece by staining and spraying the lacquer and see if glue will bond. Any thoughts are most appreciated. Also happy Fathers Day to all you dads  

• 4 weeks later...

Any of the wood glues will be fine. The Elmer's stick will be stronger but only if it gets a full contact between both surfaces which can be tricky on a repair.The gorilla glue foams up and gets into any little gaps though and is ample for the job you are doing.  Recently I have read that Titebond is kind of a better glue. I did research about a comparison of the Best Wood Glue – TOP 5 and yes, Titebond did come out on top.
Go with what you got is my feeling.