namluke

Band Saw Recommendation

Hi,

Im from the UK and Im looking to get a new band saw, my budget is around £1500.

I would like the machine to be able to handle ripping wood and also easily cut tight circles (5cm)

The below is one im looking at

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-trade-series-sbw4300b-bandsaw-501200

but im wondering if there are any other brands i should be looking at?

Many Thanks

Luke

Not familiar with Axminster's brand, but that looks like a nice machine. If you want to make a comparison, the Harvey bandsaw appears to be a relatively close match. Harvey manufactures for other brands as well, it is possible they made the Axminster saw.

That looks like a very nice machine.  I think you'd be happy with it. Since you're already in Europe have you looked at Hammer & Felder?  Also Mick recently reviewed the SCM he bought.

6 hours ago, namluke said:

easily cut tight circles

That's a function of blade width.  A 2.5 cm radius cut is about an inch and would need a 3/8" blade so about 8mm.

Take a look at the "Record Power" brand. They offer a 5 year warranty and all reports are they stand by it.

If I was in the market for a bandsaw I'd also be looking for a seconhand startrite. There is a 352 model on ebay st the moment, single phase so ideal for home use. I'd wager it's much better than most modern offerings.

If you can answer the questions below I can more closely target a machine that will suit your requirements. For reference I'm in the UK

• What sort of power outlets do you have as the Axminster bandsaw you linked to has a UK 16A Plug (The blue one) rather than a UK normal 3 pin?
  • The wheel diameter of that saw is 430mm with a throat depth of 370mm so great for re-sawing. What sort of work are you going to do with the bandsaw?
  • You mention ripping and cutting circles of 5cm. A 1/4" 6mm blade will do the latter but you will be constantly changing blades to do ripping as 1/4" blade is not beefy enough. In that case the Axminster saw is a bit of overkill.
  • What sort of headroom do you have in your work area?

On 7/2/2020 at 8:51 AM, TerryMcK said:

If you can answer the questions below I can more closely target a machine that will suit your requirements. For reference I'm in the UK

• What sort of power outlets do you have as the Axminster bandsaw you linked to has a UK 16A Plug (The blue one) rather than a UK normal 3 pin?
  • The wheel diameter of that saw is 430mm with a throat depth of 370mm so great for re-sawing. What sort of work are you going to do with the bandsaw?
  • You mention ripping and cutting circles of 5cm. A 1/4" 6mm blade will do the latter but you will be constantly changing blades to do ripping as 1/4" blade is not beefy enough. In that case the Axminster saw is a bit of overkill.
  • What sort of headroom do you have in your work area?

Hello Terry,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a pretty large workshop with single and three phase power, so that wouldnt be an issues.

I am looking to resaw in the near future, this is why im looking for a larger more stable model.

The circles im cutting are pretty temporary, so i doont mind changing the blade.

The head room is about 6 meters so its not an issue either.

I was keen on the Hammer N3800 but then i found out the delivery charge was £420!

So i think im back to looking at Axminster.

Im not really interesting in old models and refurbishing, im just looking for a brand thats made well and not over priced, i cant stand machines where the fence doesnt lock firmly in place, like my Axminster Trade AT310SPT Spiral Planer Thicknesser.

This is the reason im unsure about Axminster.

41 minutes ago, namluke said:

Hello Terry,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a pretty large workshop with single and three phase power, so that wouldnt be an issues.

I am looking to resaw in the near future, this is why im looking for a larger more stable model.

The circles im cutting are pretty temporary, so i doont mind changing the blade.

The head room is about 6 meters so its not an issue either.

I was keen on the Hammer N3800 but then i found out the delivery charge was £420!

So i think im back to looking at Axminster.

Im not really interesting in old models and refurbishing, im just looking for a brand thats made well and not over priced, i cant stand machines where the fence doesnt lock firmly in place, like my Axminster Trade AT310SPT Spiral Planer Thicknesser.

This is the reason im unsure about Axminster.

Whats your thoughts on this one?

record power sabre-450 18 bandsaw