Hand Tool Storage

Hello All!

My fiancé and I recently just bought our first home that has an uninsulated garage in a fairly humid climate (Iowa). In the future I plan on expanding and insulating the garage which will solve my problem in regards to rust and decay in my tools (table saw, jointer, planes, etc.). My question though comes from the short term storage of my hand tools. I am buying an upgrade for my hand tools (new carcass saw and two new planes) and was curious if I’m over thinking it by storing them in my basement which is dry and just grabbing them as I needed per project? Or should I just grab some anti rusting compounds and keep them stored with the rest of my tools.

Thanks!

Luke 

if you do not find it an inconvenience by storing them in your basement i think that would be your best option. depending on how much you use your tools you might want to consider building a hand tool cabinet or tool box to store them in with moisture absorbents. this is really a personal preference and since it is only temporary you should not need to worry about deep rust and pitting in the cast iron of the planes.

• Like 1

I'm in South Carolina and before I was able to have a minisplit in the shop I ran a dehumidifier. A small dehumidifier unit can lower the humidity enough to make a big difference for your tools and comfort in the humid months.

The only issues I have ever had involve trapped moisture. Green wood, sawdust, or shavings left on surfaces will begin to rust in less than an hour. Dry materials, not just wood, may trap moisture or condensation. This is what works for me.

1. Clean ferrous tools and surfaces and don't leave anything on surfaces. Wipe down after use. 

2. Apply a protectant. Paste wax, boshield, etc. 

3. Check often for any sign of rust forming. 

• Like 1