More Pocket Holes?

Recently started my first ever wood project, decided on a pretty simple computer desk design. It's made from 3/4in Birch plywood. 

The question i have is, should i put more pocket holes for the main legs and the shelf legs? Not really sure how much strength each pocket hole adds and what is or isn't enough depending on the size and weight. I have 4 pocket holes on each of the insides of the main legs and 2 pocket holes for the shelf legs at the top and bottom. Should i add more between the current holes? Or maybe add some on the outsides? (I have a 2in overhang on the main legs and 1in over hang on shelf legs, so the pocket holes won't be too visible on outside if i do that)

Below are some pictures of the design of the desk i made in sketch up and the current amount of pocket holes i have for the legs. If you have any other pointers or things for me to be aware of, feel free to share, thanks!

Desk-pic.png

Desk-pic-2.png

Desk-pic-3.png

IMG-9124.jpg

IMG-9126.jpg

Mac, I’ve used pocket holes successfully for a while now, mostly for cabinets and they are pretty strong. If this were mine and there are no restrictions as to why you can’t, I would make the front (not where you sit)  panel/apron, extend further to the floor to help prevent racking. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Coop said:

Mac, I’ve used pocket holes successfully for a while now, mostly for cabinets and they are pretty strong. If this were mine and there are no restrictions as to why you can’t, I would make the front (not where you sit)  panel/apron, extend further to the floor to help prevent racking. 

That was one of my concerns... I didn't want my desk to weigh too much and also would have had to purchase another 8ft x 4ft plywood sheet just for that panel. But i guess if it's going to add that much more rigidity to the desk, it's worth it.

What is the least size you would go for that panel? The legs are 29in high so that's the most i can go. The current panel is only 6in wide.

Coop and others probably have much more insight into this stuff, but if you were to add a back panel to the bottom cabinet I think the rigidity would increase tremendously and your pocket hole count would be fine.  However if the design and aesthetics are locked in then like the others said definitely get some sort apron(s) pretty close to the bottom to help keep it together.

Pocket holes have worked great for the projects I've used them.  Especially paired with good ole Titebond II.   

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Coop said:

I typed mine about the same time as @krtwood and didn’t see his response until after I hit send. His suggestion would also be a good consideration, especially if materials is a concern. 

I think i'll go ahead and extend it further, i can always use the extra material from the new sheet for something else. Not sure how much more to extend it though. I'd rather not have it go all the way to the floor. The current panel is 6in wide.

I suggested a rail as that would use less material, especially if already have the back cut.  But extending the back down works too.  If you want it to look more open you could add a curve or two angled cuts on the bottom.

What you're trying to prevent here is sideways swaying (racking) or the connection of the sides to the desk top failing if the piece is dragged sideways on the floor.  It's kind of a personal decision of how solid do you want the thing to feel and also how much do you trust the quality of the plywood.

• Like 1

I agree with all the above, but a further design consideration is where are your shins going to go when you inevitably stretch your legs?  

If the back panel (the non-sitting side) is full length then you won't have any edge to bang your shins against.

If, as I believe krtwood is suggesting, you end up with a 6 or 8 inch wide transverse brace poitioned at the base of the back, then you can comfortably rest your feet on top of this panel.  

If the partial panel is at the top, but doesn't extend below your knee, then you're also pretty bang free.  But lower than that gets into shin territory.

• Like 1