Wood flooring in garage

You can get a product called Dri core that is meant for basements.  It has a plastic on the bottom and particle board on top.  The plastic keeps the wood from direct contact with the floor and has channels that let moisture move to drains, etc.  It is T&G I think so it locks together.  A couple of coats of varithane or paint and done.

p_1000112986.jpg?wid=1000&hei=1000&op_sh

• Like 1

I thought the expense of Dri core & having a moisture/water barrier (fewer seams) were advantages for Platon. (I've had basement flooding in the past, so that's a big issue for me) There's instructions on their website on using Platon as an underlayment. They say "Average floor loading of 80 lb/sq.ft at temperature less than 102° F 39° C , less than 1/8” 3mm deflection" so a 4'x8' plywood sheet spreading the weight would support 2,560 lbs by my back of envelope math.   

1 hour ago, HarveyM said:

I thought the expense of Dri core & having a moisture/water barrier (fewer seams) were advantages for Platon. (I've had basement flooding in the past, so that's a big issue for me) There's instructions on their website on using Platon as an underlayment. They say "Average floor loading of 80 lb/sq.ft at temperature less than 102° F 39° C , less than 1/8” 3mm deflection" so a 4'x8' plywood sheet spreading the weight would support 2,560 lbs by my back of envelope math.   

I would be concerned with point loads under heavy machinery at the plywood seams.

4 hours ago, Mark J said:

@Jim DaddyO, will this stuff support the weight of machinery?

I guess @HarveyM more or less answered the question.  If his numbers are quoted from the manufacturer and it looks like it should.  Most hobby weight machinery has no more point load than the 4 little feet under a large refrigerator.  If in doubt you could put some wider pads under the machinery to spread the load a bit.  It doesn't look like there are any large spans  under the dri-core anyway.  It would also be a good platform for future finished floor on top of it too.  Spread the expense over time if you choose to go that route.  Personally, I'd just paint it.  I have painted plywood floors on my present shop and I love them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HarveyM said:

It is intended to be a home shop, not a industrial space. As a finished plywood floor the seams would be visible. Option B would be using it as subfloor and 'protect' it with a flooring layer.  

It's not the visibility of the seams I was addressing, but rather the compression of the Platon as a heavy wheel passes over a seam. Not a concern if there are no really heavy machines.

• Like 1

I'm reading through the last several post again, and it appears we're talking about two different products, Platon under a 3/4" plywood layer and Dri Core.  I'm not familiar with either so I've no reason to think either is a bad choice.  But for me I want all my equipment on wheels and to roll freely when needed.  Now I have no idea off hand what the point loading is under the foot of, say my industrial table saw, but a 1/8" deflection is actually going to significantly impede rolling, at least initially.  On the other hand HarveyM has done it, so what's the real world experience with rolling big equipment on the Platon?